Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WD 2TB external drive suddenly unreadable

• Please log in to reply

Rudy Rudy

Rudy Rudy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
A barely 3 month old WD MyBook 2TB external drive has been hooked to my desktop almost non stop since I bought it. I occasionally unhook it and bring it with me to my other job where I hook it up to my laptop.

The day it quit working, I unhooked it and brought it with me to work but never used it. When I got home, I hooked it back up to my desktop. Now it says I've hooked up a disc that is unreadable by the computer. Says it on both laptop and desktop. I took it out of the case and purchased a Sabrent adapter with the hopes of accessing my data. Same error message comes up.

I'm running Snow Leopard

WD says I've hooked it to a Windows computer or that I never formatted it for Mac. Funny, it worked perfectly up until that day. The HD makes no funny sounds. Power light comes on.

I have a recovery program: StellarPhoenix. I can try to retrieve my files but I'm hoping and praying there is another way.

I've got over 500gbs of files on here, not to mention deleted stuff it will recover and rename while dumping into one big unorganized file.

Please say there is another way to get my files off of here with some sort of original organization. I'm a photographer who is now backing up twice. I'll never risk this again. Never trust a BRAND NEW drive! How sad. Every photo I've ever taken from 2007 on is on this drive.

Thanks for any help! And I'm pretty computer savvy so if there is a way of typing in code somewhere or techy stuff, I can probably do it with a simple walk through.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hi Rudy Rudy
Some free recovery programs that may help http://www.snapfiles...tarecovery.HTML or Puppy Linux
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/
Sorry I am not familiar with Snow Leopard so the above suggestions are about as much as I can suggest, best of luck and please let us know how you get on.

NB: FWIW I would never trust that drive again, hopefully you will be able to retrieve your data, format the HDD and return it under warranty.