Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 3000 bootup issue

• Please log in to reply

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well, since I fix computers, I should have no problems fixing this laptop.

However, I'm not interested in fixing it if I can't sell it at a profit after I do fix it.

Of all the computers I've ever fixed, this is the first time I've seen this issue. Issues are usually software related, which I am a master at.

I'm still confused after searching online if a video chip can sometimes work. I would think they either work all the time or not at all. I will begin ripping this thing apart to carefully look over all soldering connections. The heat of it warming up must be directly related to this issue, because it starts right up every time when it's cold.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Yes this is a tricky one and like you suggested earlier it could be a bad solder joint which is expanding when hot and breaking the circuit, some laptops with certain integrated Nvidea chips had odd problems due to a flaw in the soldering and the only solution was to reflow the solder around the chip, not a job for the faint hearted, I am not aware that this has been an issue with SIS video chips but thought it worth a mention as a possibility.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well, I paid $60 for the laptop. The guy who sold it to me failed to mention it had this issue. I figured either way, I could most likely fix it and give it to my girlfriend.

I'm up in the air if I should just list it on ebay or attempt to fix it.... What would you do? :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
If me I would try and fix it, you have been conned by the guy on ebay so unless you are willing to do the same to someone else you will not get what you paid for it so if you try but are unable to fix it you could at least sell it for spares separately HDD, screen, keyboard etc your conscience would then be clear.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well, unlike him, I would tell people what they are getting themselves into. Even if I only get $50 for it, I'd take the loss before ripping someone off. I'm a man of integrity who is always honest and upfront.

I generally profit from buying these, fixing them, then selling them. I expect to occasionally take a loss here and there. This may be a loss. I did see one with the exact issue just sell on ebay for $52 + 20 shipping. Somebody out there seems to feel they are worth fixing, but I am indeed uneasy about the idea of attempting soldering on a main board. lol I'm a software man myself.

Thank you for your help bud :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome and good luck with whatever you decide you deserve a break for your honesty :)