Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Hotmail email sending spams to contacts

• Please log in to reply

dellouser

dellouser

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
Basically, today I was using public computer at the library at 9 am, checking my hotmail email etc.. At about 12:30pm I checked my email address and I got lot of Undelivered messages to ALL my contacts, however majority were delivered. When I opened the emails there was a link in each one of them, I realized right away that its some sort of Virus containing it.
I changed my email password once I got home.

I checked SENT email folder for Email Header and that what it showed:

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="_3408267b68-1f3f-4e1732-a3583-cf10bd2c133e_"

X-Originating-IP: [198.198.27.41]

To: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>,

NOTE: To make it confidential I made my email address and name confidential. As well changed Receivers emails to <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>.

The only discrepency I find in email header is that IP address is not the one I am using in Toronto

I searched my home computer for viruses with AVG software and there were NO Trojans !

What can I do?
Do you think its a Virus I got from library computer?
OR
Someone got access to my account and spoofed with with emails manually ?
I was reading online that when they spoof your email, the SENDERS(FROM)email address that shows up in the Email Header is not your original address. E.g. If it was spoofed it would show <[email protected]> instead of <myemailaddress@hotmail.com>

Edited by dellouser, 17 November 2011 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements