Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Slows When PC Is On?

• Please log in to reply

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Got a weird one for you guys,

I just put together a new PC build and I've noticed something very strange. Whenever the computer is turned on, whether there's an Ethernet cable plugged in or not, the internet in the house slows to a crawl. As soon as I put the computer in Sleep mode or turn it off, the internet jumps up to normal speed again. Besides the new computer, three other devices in the house are running on wireless connections and the new computer is hard lined into the router, as it is incapable of wireless connections. (The same configuration that I had before with my old computer rig.) All drivers are up to date to the extent of my knowledge.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Many thanks,
-Will

Advertisements

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
UPDATE: Problem may be resolved. Turns out my mobo was setting the voltages too high. (Almost an entire volt in some cases.) Voltages have been lowered and everything seems to be running fine now. I'm guessing that the computer was using too much energy and siphoning it away from the modem and router, leaving them to do a piss poor job. If the situation returns I'll be sure to post again.

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
UPDATE: Are several days the problem has returned. PC is still running at the lowered voltage. Any ideas?

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
After*, not are. My phone apparently can't tell the difference.

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
UPDATE: Still having this issue. I have attempted to run the modem, router, and PC on different circuits but still seem to have the same problem. How can this be possible?

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
UPDATE: Visited friends on the 23rd with PC and their internet had no problems with the PC running at full strength. I'm now absolutely certain the issue is a combination of the PC and the electrical wiring in my apartment. (Possibly sharing circuits with another unit?)

UPDATE 2: I've now lowered the CPU multiplier from standard 3.4GHz to 2.2GHz with a maximum voltage of 1.250. The computer can now be on without the internet completely slowing, but now varies between a steady download speed of 1.0 to 1.3 MB/S to fluctuation wildly. However, any time the processor has to do any sort of work, such as when a program is started (ex. a game of some kind) the internet drops back down to near 40 KB/S.

Hopefully I'm chipping away at the puzzle and someone will have a solution for me. =(