Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Help will not boot windows

• Please log in to reply

drozman

drozman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am building a PC. I dont have much cash, so I purchased a biostar N68S3+ , a AMD Sempron145 processor and 4GB (2X2gb) GSKILL Ram. I installed this in a old emachine case. It has a 160gb EIDE hard drive (temporary) till I can afford a larger sata. running windows xp home 32bit.

When I boot the system a window pops up for a few seconds showing it is recognizing everything, then it goes to screen and says windows will start normaly in like 19 seconds. after the count down screen goes dark a few seconds then goes back to first screen where it is recognizing everything again, then back to windows will start normally in so many sec.

I tried this a couple of times and also got message CMOS checksum bad and one time I received a message DQS training failed on previous boot revert to slower dram speed.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi drozman :)
It is important that when you purchase a new MB that you check the QVL (qualified vendors list) to ensure that you get a compatible CPU and Ram, whilst it would be virtually if not impossible for manufactures to test all other branded components for compatibility they do at least make the effort and offer guidance and in this instance the Ram you have purchased is not on the list and only one G.Skill product has been tested and approved G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-2GBNQ 1G DDR3 1333 this does not mean however that the Ram is not compatible, Biostar QVL is available @ http://206.108.48.60...?S_ID=506&tab=1

When I boot the system a window pops up for a few seconds showing it is recognizing everything, then it goes to screen and says windows will start normally in like 19 seconds. after the count down screen goes dark a few seconds then goes back to first screen where it is recognizing everything again, then back to windows will start normally in so many sec.

Have you done a fresh install of XP or installed the MB drivers from the disk that may have been supplied with the MB?

I tried this a couple of times and also got message CMOS checksum bad and one time I received a message DQS training failed on previous boot revert to slower dram speed.

This suggests that the Ram voltage is incorrect and needs to be adjusted in the BIOS however removing the CMOS battery on the MB for a few moments and then replacing it may resolve this as it will restore the MB back to the factory default settings.
Please post the precise details of the Ram that you have purchased so that we can check that it is 1.5V.
Also please be aware that unless you have a full retail XP disk you cannot use the present OS with a new MB, OEM (original equipment manufacturers) type OS disks are tied to the one original MB and cannot be used with a new MB and to do so is software piracy and therefore illegal, we are duty bound to advise you of this.