Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet - IP problem?

• Please log in to reply

Zar

Zar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a D-Link DWA-525 Wireless N 150 Desktop Adapter ( [link] ) with a Rosewill RNX-A8-EX Omni-Directional Antenna attached ( [link] ). The router I'm using is a Netgear.
This setup has worked fine for a long time until tonight. My connection started cutting out and reconnecting, then went down all together. I left it for about two hours to see if the problem would just correct itself, and it hasn't been able to reconnect since (has been down for about 4-6 hours now). It detects the connection but cannot connect to it.
I've restarted the computer and the router. When using the troubleshooter in Windows Live Messenger, it tells me there is a problem with my IP. I tried to reset the IP using ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /release commands to no avail. Both tell me "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected."
Contacted my ISP and they told me it was either a problem with my computer or the router. Two laptops are able to connect without any problems.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Zar? and Welcome to GtoG...

I assume that nothing has changed in between you and the WiFi router and since 2 other systems have no problems it is probably something on your system. Have you tried to set the IP addresses and DNS addresses manually? (Letting DHCP auto assign addresses is the normal practice but you can extend WiFi connections by entering these values in your IP properties of the WiFi adapter. That way your system doesn't have to wait for automatic addresses to be provided to it and it connects according to your settings. You may need to check the DNS addresses in the Netgear router, do not just use the gateway address. This has worked for me in the past. It maybe a sign your netgear is getting a bit old, (if you're the farthest connection from the router). The closer connections may start to fail as well soon. Hope Santa knows you've been "nice" Posted Image

Hope this helps...