Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bluray rom has weird problem

• Please log in to reply

Ali Malik

Ali Malik

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey guys ..

i m having a weird and annoying problem with my bluray .. i have windows 7 32 bit and sony optiarc bd BC-5500S4 bluray okay my problem is that it is playing everything except bluray disc. it doesn't even recognized it. no response at all . i m trying to play Harry potter 7 part 2 .. i thought may be my disc has problem i tried in on other bluray player it was working fine. so my Bluray rom has problem and here is the drivers detail which is installed
Driver Provider: (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
which is not my bluray driver
i tried to update it i downloaded driver from sony vaio site but couln't install that cuz it says that i have lastest driver .. (how???)

i have no idea whats going on .. i tried to search on internet a lot of people has this problem .. but couldn't find any solution it would be a favor if you can help me out please
thanks ..
i have sony vaio laptop FW465j with windows 7 32 bit... optiarc bluray BD BC-5500S4
4GB ram with 1 GB ATI radeon graphics card
2.53ghz core duo

if you need more information please let me know
help me out pleaseee

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Ali and :)

Did it ever work?

Note that BluRay is a patented technology that it not owned by Microsoft. For Microsoft to add BluRay support to Windows 7, it would have added another $30 to the cost of Windows. So you must use 3rd party software to play BluRay disks. One of the most popular, is PowerDVD 11 - and believe it or not, at $50 is one of the cheapest. :yes:

Considering the price of a BluRay drive plus the price of the software needed to play BluRay movies on a computer, compared to the cost of standalone BluRay players, many don't believe the money or hassles are worth it.

Ali Malik

Ali Malik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for prompt response friend.. its not about software i have the the powerdvd 10 who supports bluray 3d and rest of the other formats .. actually my bluray rom is not showing in it .. its like there is no cd at all .. when you double click it it says "please insert the disc ":) it means it is not loading the Bluray because it doesn't have the right driver ..
i am trying to find the file for my driver which is BC-5500S4 just a files of driver not .exe files .. if i can find that files i can update my bluray manually ..
that's it .. but couldn't file / well lets see .. if anyone else can do something ..

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I ask again, did it ever work?

Windows 7 is pretty smart when it comes to drivers. You might try going into Device Manager and deleting the existing driver, then reboot. I would go directly into your BIOS Setup Menu and make sure the drive appears there, then Save and Exit to boot normally. Then make sure you see it under Computer.

Ali Malik

Ali Malik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
na it didn't work sir .. today i reinstall window 7 32 bit .. i dont know why i was just wondering may be it start working .. well no luck so far .. you are right about update driver but i dont have the right drivers. and driver which is available at sony web site whenever i try to install that it says that i already have latest driver... but that driver is 2006 driver something .. huh i dont know what to do ..

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Okay, so it never worked. From a troubleshooting point of view, that is good.

Did you try this: http://esupport.sony...d=5172&os_id=45

Ali Malik

Ali Malik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yup i tried it says that i have the latest driver.. huh .. it cant be hardware fault cuz it is playing everything can burn dvd and stuff .. huh .. you know what i was think if there anyways i can get that driver file only .. may be i am saying it rite the info file for driver .... so .. but its all in exe files which i have to install .. i just get the files for driver i can update that manually ..
what to do ..

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't know what to tell you. The Internet is awash with folks having problems viewing BluRay disks on their computers.

You said you tried Harry Potter in another player - was that other player in a computer, or a standalone player connected to a TV?

gamer_83

gamer_83

• Pip
  • 5 posts

hey guys ..

i m having a weird and annoying problem with my bluray .. i have windows 7 32 bit and sony optiarc bd BC-5500S4 bluray okay my problem is that it is playing everything except bluray disc. it doesn't even recognized it. no response at all . i m trying to play Harry potter 7 part 2 .. i thought may be my disc has problem i tried in on other bluray player it was working fine. so my Bluray rom has problem and here is the drivers detail which is installed
Driver Provider: (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
which is not my bluray driver
i tried to update it i downloaded driver from sony vaio site but couln't install that cuz it says that i have lastest driver .. (how???)

i have no idea whats going on .. i tried to search on internet a lot of people has this problem .. but couldn't find any solution it would be a favor if you can help me out please
thanks ..
i have sony vaio laptop FW465j with windows 7 32 bit... optiarc bluray BD BC-5500S4
4GB ram with 1 GB ATI radeon graphics card
2.53ghz core duo

if you need more information please let me know
help me out pleaseee

I am having exactly the same problem. I bought my Sony Laptop in 2009 November, never tried a blue ray disc on it since then. All other CDs and DVDs have been playing fine without any trouble. Now for the first time I tried to play a blue ray disk, it gives exactly the same problem as mentioned above. I inserted the Blue Ray disc, I can feel the drive by touching it that it tried to read it for about three times I can hear the spinning, the light comes on and off on the drive for about 7 times and then it goes silent. When I click on the drive, it says insert disc.

These are the details from the system information:

Drive H:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type UNKNOWN
Name Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S4
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMOPTIARC_BD_ROM_BC-5500S4________________1.VB____\4&2D242486&0&0.0.0

I tried everything from the internet, there is one update for the firmware from the Sony website, I installed it already. Other updates don't install, it says "Target drive not found" I am running Windows Vista Home that came along with the bundle and it should have worked because the model must have been through QC and everything. Either it must be a hardware defect or some programs must have tampered the Blue Ray firmware or software. I really don't want to do a complete recovery using recovery discs and restore it to factory settings. If it does not work I will loose a lot of data just for nothing. I have been assuming that Sony is the best in this so I was very happy to have it, I was really happy with everything else in the laptop until I tried this blue ray player. It is really very disgusting that so many people are having this issue and the Sony does not release a standard firmware that could fix any issue other than hardware failure.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by gamer_83, 03 June 2012 - 03:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Try VLC and see if you can then view B/Ray http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
Did you get a disk with the Sony that had B/Ray software on it?
You may also find running CyberLink BD & 3D Advisor helpful http://download.cnet...tml?tag=mncol;4
I am not suggesting the use of any other product or service at the links.

Edited by phillpower2, 03 June 2012 - 04:01 AM.
Link added

Advertisements

gamer_83

gamer_83

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your reply phillpower2. I did not get any Blue Ray software discs from Sony. I set up my laptop and made recovery discs manually.

I tried installing VLC media player from the link provided. It gave the following error:

Blu-Ray error:
Path doesn't appear to be a bluray
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///H:/'. Check the log for details.

I also tried the cyberlink blue ray disc and 3d advisor. It did some scanning and said "Pass". Here are the details. I have also attached the full test log here.

CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz Yes
GPU (Hardware acceleration) : NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT Yes
System Memory : 2048 MB Yes
Operating System : Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Yes
Operating System : Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Yes
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT Yes
Graphics Card Driver : 7.15.11.7676 Yes
Blu-ray Disc Drive : [H:] Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S4 Yes
Disc Drive : [H:] Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S4 Yes
Software Player : PowerDVD 11 Yes
Video Connection Type : Internal connection Yes
Player Capability for Bonus View : Yes Yes
Player Capability for BD Live : Yes Yes
Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for H.264 : 1080p+480i Upgrade More Info
Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for MPEG-2 : 1080p+480i Upgrade More Info
Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for VC-1 : 1080p+480i Upgrade More Info
Network Capability : Yes Yes

I can see that the dual layer capability is not there in this hardware. I suppose my BD ROM I am trying to play is single layer. Its color is black on the data side, no scratches and it was playing on other Blue ray disc players. My concern is that even if its not playing the movie, at least it should allow to explore the contents of the blue ray disc. But it behaves as if no disc is inserted into the drive even when the disc is inside.

Thanks and Regards.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Please check the updates @ http://esupport.sony...d=1&region_id=3
As you are aware the device is clearly detected so unless it is faulty I can only think that it is being choosy about the software that it will read.

gamer_83

gamer_83

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your links. I have updated to the latest firmware already. The problem still persists. Yes it could be because its not choosing to read this particular format of the disc.

When I tried one of the blue ray players, Mac Blue Ray Player for windows, when I inserted the disc, I clicked on play disc as soon as I inserted it, for a split second I saw the clear blue ray menu window appearing from the Disc, but only for a split second then it disappeared and it said No disc in drive. The same motor is used for spinning all the discs and if the CDs and DVDs play fine, there should not be a problem with the motor to spin to get the data from the disc. Since I saw the screen for a split second the lens too should be ok.

I am not sure if its a hardware or software problem. However I am hoping to install windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the second partition and try to have a dual boot OS with Vista already installed. I have downloaded the list of drivers Sony provided in their support website for Windows 7 for this laptop.

I don't want to loose Vista just in case but I feel its worth trying.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this solution if this dual booting would cause any disaster.

Edited by gamer_83, 03 June 2012 - 09:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I have updated to the latest firmware already.

What I was suggesting is that it may be the actual software that reads the B/Ray product/film itself and nothing to do with drivers/firmware.

Regarding a dual boot what is the capacity of your HDD.

gamer_83

gamer_83

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes may be you are right. There could be some software which I am unaware of. Whatever software Sony provided in their support site I have installed it. I have also uninstalled the drivers provided by Microsoft and reinstalled them. My disc is a normal 25 GB blue ray disc (nothing high tech in it) and the movie from the disc played well on blue ray players on TV.

The total capacity is 500 GB. I have allocated 200 GB for C:\ which now holds the Windows Vista operating system which I can restore using recovery discs. I have another extended partition D:\ Logical Drive of size 252 GB where I store data just in case the C drive have to be formatted. Now I thought of installing Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on the D:\ by clean formatting it. There is some unallocated 12 GB which says EISA Configuration.

I am not sure about this part whether or not I would get a boot option screen where I can select the OS I can boot into.