Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer says that "this copy of windows is not geniune" wh

• Please log in to reply

MIse*

MIse*

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My computer says that "this copy of windows is not geniune" what happens if i leave it as it is?And it always tells me to get geniune and it lists 3 options---> 1,buy a new product key
2,type a diffrent product key
3,resolve this prob online,and none of them really help,every time i boot in it tells me to get geniune,when i put the product key from the back of the [bleep] computer it says it doesn't work for this version of windows what will happen if it says that way for lets say 30 days,and can i buy another new windows 7 or xp installation disk and resolve this prob or any tweaks i can do or recovery or any software and it worked fine 2 to 3 days please help i haven't really used it for even a week thanx for any help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Mise - Re this thread http://www.geekstogo...30#entry2076430
You have previously sought assistance concerning two seperate issues with two differant computers albeit on the same thread, you have not concluded either nor indeed replied in 6 days yet you have now started a third thread here.
From your previous OP;

I want to know,if i borrow a ("COPY") of the windows xp installation disk from a friend will it work the same as the ("ORIGNAL")

In post #2 at your earlier thread I advised you;

Please be aware that GTG will only assist you if you have a legitimate XP disk or a USB device with legitimately obtained XP software on it and this is fully explained in the terms of use;

Your response in post #3 was;

First of all don't consider me a thief for one bit(byte) because i am not,i am just 14

So please confirm where you obtained your XP software from so that we can be certain that no laws are being broken, to confirm that your XP is legitimate use the Microsoft validation tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916247 can you also conclude your other topics one way or another, once again thank you for your understanding.

MIse*

MIse*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did not buy any disc from any where it came with the laptop itself,and about the conclusion how can i do that ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I did not buy any disc from any where it came with the laptop itself,

This suggests that the disk is the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) type and it is tied to the one original MB in the laptop so unless you have replaced the MB** you should have no problems getting Microsoft to validate your XP OS, dependant on how many times your XP has been activated on line you may need to do it on the telephone, check the link for contact details http://www.microsoft...ope-africa.aspx

**Other occasions where Microsoft will validate your OS include when a MB has been replaced under warranty or an original replacement MB is no longer available, they may however decline to validate an OS if more than 60% (not including the MB) of the original hardware has been replaced.

and about the conclusion how can i do that ?

All you need do is return to the original topic and reply letting us know that you no longer require assistance, if you have managed to resolve an issue posting how it was solved is both helpful and appreciated by others, it is also a way of playing a part in a forum community.

MIse*

MIse*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright,thank but see i went ahead you guys and gooogled the prob and a few pepole said they had the same prob and they ignored it but it worked fine you see if it doesn't stop my OS then i have no problem canceling some messages

Edited by MIse*, 24 November 2011 - 10:11 AM.