Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire One won't boot except in Safe mode

• Please log in to reply

betctru

betctru

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I'm running Windows 7 Starter edition. System acts like it is going to boot up, but hangs at a black screen. If I force a shutdown, I can restart in safe mode. Windows cannot repair the startup file.

Thanks for any help...

Betsy

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First try this.

Type msconfig in Start search box - click it when it pops up.
Click Boot tab - uncheck Safe Boot , Apply, OK. Restart

Still don't work? Please read this on BCDedit.

http://www.sevenforu...it-how-use.html

I do have a aspire one - win 7 netbook on hand if you need the settings.
When i got this netbook it would not boot up except into a DOS kind of setup, so i went the factory restore method.

When the netbook is booting up press the alt and F10 keys at the same time, then follow the prompts to take the netbook back to the factory setting.

SRX660

betctru

betctru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
SRX660-

Thanks for the prompt response. I can always count on G2G!

I wasn't very clear last night It was late here and it had been a long day ..when I tried to start the system, it would try to boot and get to a black screen where it would just hang up and not do anything. I forced it to shut down.

Finally, I tried pressing F8 to load in Safe Mode, which worked, but then I couldn't run my virus scan software...and system restore was not working. I got a message it was turned off, but was not able to find System Protection in the system settings to check ( as I thought I had it turned on.) It took a very long time to shut down.

I then tried rebooting again normally, same problem, hang up on black screen.

At one point, trying the F8 to get to Safe Mode, I was presented with the option to repair my startup, however that failed.

Back to Safe mode, was able to boot up...tried "restart" and the system booted up into normal mode. I was able to run a virus scan. I was able to shut it down normally. It started up in normal mode this morning, and all my data seems to be there. However...

When I try to do a System Restore this morning, I again get the message that it is turned off, but this time System Protection does appear in the menus.

When I tried to restore settings I get this message:
There was an unexpected error in the property page. The filename, directory name, or volume label is incorrect (0x8007007B) please close the property page and try again.)

And on the System Protection tab, my Protection Settings are:
Available Drives Protection
Acer (C:) (System) On
PQService Off
Acer (C:) (Missing) On

Not sure if this is a virus, a hardware failure, corrupted files? I will back up the data I have on it today in case I have to restore to factory status. I'll note that I installed additional RAM in the system a couple months ago.

Betsy

Edited by betctru, 20 November 2011 - 06:47 AM.

betctru

betctru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

This usually happen when the computer is protecting future trouble. so try the following:
1. ran memtest.
2. check CHKDSK /F
3. update your device's drivers

Jaydeee-

Thanks!

Betsy

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Perhaps memtest would tell you something. I installed a 2 gig stick of ram in mine and have not had a problem with it. The comp runs much better with the 2 gig stick.

SRX660