Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

acer aspire t180 wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

siderman

siderman

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi all i hope someone can help me i switched my pc on this morning and everything seems to be running but nothing comes up on the screen and the keyboard will not work ive tried a different pc with the screen and keyboard and they work fine i thought that maybe it was the mobo that was gone but read that if i take out the ram it would not beep if the mobo had gone and it did beep also tried to reset the bios but with no luck so please someone help me :help:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hi siderman and :welcome:
Please confirm that these are your computers specs:
http://support.acer....reT180sp2.shtml and if they are whether you are using the integrated video chip or an add on pci-e video card.
What you are describing is the PC failing the POST (power on self test) more info @ http://www.poweronselftest.com/
Provide the requested details and we can move on from there, a bad PSU or video chip/card may be the cause.

siderman

siderman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi and thanks for the welcome yeah those are the specs of my pc is this a easy thing to fix? i also believe that i have a integrated video chip as ive not seen anything inside that resembles a video card

Edited by siderman, 20 November 2011 - 12:33 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
How easy it is to fix depends on the problem, in post #2 I asked;

whether you are using the integrated video chip or an add on pci-e video card.

What is the answer please?

siderman

siderman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok im believe its a integrated video chip as there appears to not be a add on pci-e video card inside the pc

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
2 options then 1: Try another PSU 2: Try an add on video card in your MBs pci-e slot.

NB: If by chance you can borrow the older type PCI slot video card you could also try that in one of the 2 standard PCI slots.

siderman

siderman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok thanks mate i will get those bits tomorow also while we are on the subject i have another acer aspire t180 same spec as the other one but this one will not load past the splash screen and the keyboard also does not work any ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
No worries when you are ready (I will not be on line until around 19.00 UK time though).
The second t180 may have an issue with the HDD or the OS, is the keyboard the USB type?
If the PCs are exactly the same you could swap out parts for testing purposes ie the PSU in one and the HDD in the other, would that work for you if we can get one up and running and then work on the second.

siderman

siderman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi mate the acer that will not boot past the splash screen ive tried a new hdd and psu in it but still had no joy :confused:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

hi mate the acer that will not boot past the splash screen ive tried a new hdd and psu in it but still had no joy :confused:

Can you tell us more! Where did the new HDD come from, was it out of the other t180? If not try that it will have the same drivers on it.

Edited by phillpower2, 21 November 2011 - 05:25 PM.

Advertisements

siderman

siderman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi yes it was from the other t180

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Well if there is nothing wrong with the HDD and the OS (XP) is the same and not corrupt then there is no reason why it does not boot!
Do you have the XP or recovery disk that may have been shipped with either computer?
In post #8 I asked;

is the keyboard the USB type?

What is the answer please?
If the keyboard is the USB type can you borrow a PS2 (wired)type as this type will work if the USB ports are not working, if you have no wired keyboard available you can use a USB/PS2 adapter like the one below;
Once you get the keyboard sorted (the PS2 type) you will be able to get into and navigate the BIOS area, can you post back with an update of what steps you are able to take, we can then move on from there.

siderman

siderman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi im using a ps2 type keyboard

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
And do you have the XP or recovery disk that may have been shipped with either computer?
Try removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it, this will restore the MB back to the factory default settings, if you are then able to get into the BIOS you will need to reset the time and date, save the settings by pressing F10 and then Y to accept the changes.

.jpeg courtesy of rshaffer61 :thumbsup:

siderman

siderman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi no i dont have the recovery disks and i have tried taking the battery out and moving the jumpers but still no joy