Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win7 won't instal usb drive on start up

• Please log in to reply

davidc51

davidc51

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've seasrched for this problem but it's a bit long-winded to explain so apologies if I've missed an obvious previous topic!!
I've recently got a new barebones Novatech system. Its a Foxconn motherboard with an Intel i5 processor running win7 prof with sp1. I have a Memorex traveldrive external usb 2.5 hard drive which I have had for a few years now. It workes fine on all my other PCs but it usually doesn't get installed when I leave it plugged into my new PC on start up. I also have a Buffalo external 2.5 usb hard drive which is also left plugged in and that works fine. The memorex traveldrive works fine if I unplug it and plug it back in but just won't reliably install if I leave it plugged in. I have swapped usb slots and that seems to make no difference. Interestinly a couple of times it HAS appeared on start up! Once it has been recognised it works with no problems at all until I shut down and re-start.
Is there anything obvious I can check or do I just need to keep re-plugging it after I start my PC up?

Thanks for any help you can give.

DavidC

Edited by davidc51, 20 November 2011 - 08:28 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do not think you are alone in this problem. I have 6 external drives. All these drives were taken out of broken comps and installed in enclosures. toshiba 2 gig laptop drive, IBM 20 gig laptop drive, WD 160 IDE drive, WD 250 IDE drive,WD 500 sata desktop drive and a 120 gig sata laptop drive. I also have 5 desktop comps of which 4 i built and a older Compaq S5000 i got for free(broken, but i fixed it). 2 have early versions of XP with upgrades but they will not see the sata drives. The later version of XP and the vista comps see all the drives. My win 7 comp see's all but the 160 gig drive. no reason for it but it makes the sound when hooked to the USB port but there's nothing there when i look in windows explorer. I have not been able to fix this yet. A work in progress as the 160 gig drive has all my music on it.

I use these drives on older XP systems since most still cannot read over 2 gig SD cards even with the microsoft hotfix installed. The new electronics on big SD cards just play havoc with older comps. I do have a sandisk adapter that works in older comps now. It's called a micromate.

One of these days i will figure this think out, or comp's will change so drastically in the next few years that it just wont matter.

SRX660

davidc51

davidc51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
At least I'm not the only one.
It appears that on boot-up this traveldrive fails to install (sometimes with an error message-sometimes without) but, if I re-start the PC, it installs it OK.
Not sure if that is always the case but for the past few days it seems to be. Also if I plug the drive in after the PC has started up it detects it and installs it fine.

Not a real problem but irritating.

DavidC