Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

back light or inverter?

• Please log in to reply

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
i have a gateway laptop MX6446 somtimes the monitor works for awhile then fades out and sometimes it doesnt come on at all. Video works perfectly when hooked up to an external monitor. What would be your guess,the LED or the inverter?
Thanks
Rascle

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

What would be your guess,the LED or the inverter?

That LCD display does not use LEDs, it uses a CCFL - florescent tube for backlighting and you can't really tell if the tube is gone, or if the inverter driving the tube is gone. For this reason, they are often both replaced at the same time. Parts typically cost $50 to $150, depending on size and availability and labor is typically 1 hour, 2 at the max.

Connecting another monitor was a smart move as that proves the computer itself is still good. You can verify the LCD screen still works by shining a flashlight into the screen and looking closely to see if you can see the displayed image.

Rascle53

Rascle53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Thanks for your information, i fired up the laptop under a bright light at the same time i had it hooked to a extrenal monitor,it showed windows loading,and the programs i was going through very faintly on the screen.
So my thought from what yall siad, its the inverter thats gone bad? I sure hope so,coz i can get a inverter for about $5 where the entire screen will cost about $100.
Thanks again for yall's help,,your all very very highly appreciated by myself and so many,many others :)
Rascle

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you can see Windows firing up, you definitely do NOT need a new screen. But again, it could the CCFL and not the inverter - though the inverter is the likely cause.

Do make sure that is the correct inverter for your display. They are not one size fits all. If you Google "replace notebook inverter" you will see lots of tutorials.

Rascle53

Rascle53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I thank ya much :).. Yall have a great Turkey day
Rascle

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts