Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No beeps, no POST, no BIOS.... no fun :(

• Please log in to reply

wakenbake

wakenbake

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,
This is a mostly new build - the GPU, PSU and HSF are from another system; Motherboard, CPU, HDD and RAM are box-fresh.
When the system is powered on there is no LOGO screen, no POST screen, no BEEP CODES and no BIOS.
All parts receive power and all fans are spinning.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this?
I have tried 'forcing' beep codes by taking out all of the RAM, as well as trying the RAM sticks one at a time. I also have a speaker (tested) plugged into the motherboard, to listen for beeps. I have swapped-out the GPU for another - no change.
Unfortunately I don't have access to another AM3+ motherboard or another AM3+ CPU.
I'm totally stuck and would really appreciate some help. Thanks

Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
AMD FX-6100 Black Edition 3.3GHz
12GB (3 X 4GB) Komputerbay DDR3 1866MHZ
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s
Tagan BZ800 800W PSU
Asus Silent Square EVO Air Cooler

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi wakenbake and :welcome:
As you are not even getting the BIOS screen it suggests either the PSU, MB, CPU or the GPU.
Are both the 24 pin main power connection and the 8 pin 12V ATX connection securely in place and is the GPU seated securely and if it requires either 1 or 2 6 pin pci-e connections from the PSU are they connected?
On another note, when you purchase a new MB you should always check the manufacturers QVL (qualified vendors list) to ensure you get a compatible CPU and Ram http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3901#sp check the Memory Support List and you will notice Komputerbay is not there, it would be near impossible to test all products but at least check the QVL when you next upgrade, the other thing to mention is that not using the stock cooler supplied with your new AMD you have invalidated the warranty;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx
Did you do a bare-bones set-up outside of the case first?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Did you do a bare-bones set-up outside of the case first?

This also ensures there are no extra stand offs under the motherboard shorting everything out.

Are you sure the monitor works?

wakenbake

wakenbake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, all the cables are connected securely (PSU 24pin and 8pin, and Heatsink Fan power) and I DID do set-up outside the case first.
No beeps suggests to me that it should be a mobo problem, but the mobo manual DOESN'T have any listing for CPU related beep codes....
The monitor definitely works.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

and I DID do set-up outside the case first.

And it booted ok, have you now added anything that was not connected before!

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate (unless the MB has a power test button on it) you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing.