Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell XPS M1330 Running WIndows Vista Won't Boot Past "Splash&#

• Please log in to reply

mmfw10

mmfw10

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I own a Dell XPS M1330 laptop that runs Windows Vista and today when I tried turning it on it would not start as it usually does.

It goes to the usual Dell logo/loading screen but today it took a minute to load (this part is usually very fast). After it finished loading it goes to a black screen where a cursor will flash maybe twice in the top left corner then it will not go any further, it just stays on a black screen. I know the computer is running as all lights are on and you can hear it, but it just will not do anything even if you leave it for 15-20mins.
I have the original CDs and I have tried to boot it from the CD but with out much success. I do how ever get a little further. Instead of stopping right after the Dell screen it goes to a "loading windows files" screen and you can see it doing so. Once that is finished it has the usual windows logo and bar that loads, though again after it finishes this it goes back to a blank screen.

I have read it was most likely a harddrive problem so I ran a diagnostic and it came up with the follow error.

Harddrive DST Short Test
Error code 0146
Error code 2000-0146

I'm not sure what this means or how to fix it.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to replace the hard drive. I hope you created the backup recovery discs (DVDs) or that you have a Vista Installation DVD as you are going to need one or the other.

Before doing this, try running the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic, see what it tells you.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics