Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP randomly freezing

• Please log in to reply

lynseymillar2005

lynseymillar2005

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi have a problem and i was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing it-
My computer keeps randomly freezing. it will do it when i have nothing running or when i have several programmes open. Nothing responds and i end up having to press the button on the harddrive to restart. its really annoying and i have no idea whats causing it- can anyone help?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
lynseymillar2005...

I ran into the same problem recently with a Compaq Presario and it tuned out to be a bad mobo, although the sme symptoms can be caused by any number of things including the power supply, memory, or a hot processor. Make sure all your fans are running and not making noises they shouldn't. If you feel comfortable "cracking the case" you could always try changing the memory (if you have any hanging around), swapping out the power supply (again...if one is available), and be sure to use a static strap as you rummage around in the case...static can be deadly to your machine. If none of that changes the random lock ups, it just may be the mobo.

Before you start any of the above listed troubleshooting, you should wait for a reply from some of the staffers or trusted helpers...these folks are truly remarkable!

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
good advice all around...

freeze ups are often heat related, so clean the dust bunnies from your fans.

Also, just to rule it out, take a small fan and run it across the case with teh side open to see if it repeats.

In the meantime

start > run
eventvwr.msc
enter

see if there are any red xs in apps or system at the time of the freeze