Now that you’re free from malware, as long as your computer seems to be running well, please follow these simple steps to tidy up you computer and decrease the likelihood of getting infected again:
Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix
• Click START then RUN
• Now type Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.
- please follow the prompts to uninstall Combofix.
- once it's finished uninstalling itself you will receive a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully.
- double-click OTL.exe
- click the CleanUp! button.
- select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? prompt appears.
- if you are prompted to reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
- the tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.
NOTE: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTL attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.
You're using the Windows Firewall which is not adequate protection. The main reason you should use a third-party firewall over the Windows XP Firewall is because Windows Firewall only stops incoming signals from accessing your computer. However, it will not stop Outgoing signals (possibly ones that could intrude your privacy) from sending information to the Internet or to other networks. That means if malware happens to compromise your PC again, it will be able to SEND OUT out your credit card data and any other personal information.
I suggest you install a more robust third party firewall that filters both incoming and outgoing traffic.
Download and install one of the following freeware firewalls from below:
Sygate Personal Firewall Free Edition:
Zone Alarm Free:
Comodo Personal Firewall:
NOTE only install one firewall. Having more than one could cause many programs to stop working altogether. Also, the firewalls may get in each others' way and cause some security holes that would not be there with just one firewall.
When you have done that:
Disable Windows firewall:
- Click on Start, Settings and then Control Panel
- Click on the Security Center icon.
- Click on the Windows Firewall icon
- Click Off (not recommended) and then click OK.
You should take the time to read Understanding and Using Firewalls
SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them. It blocks over 11,000 bad sites and uses no resources of your computer.
Update and run Malwarebytes. This really is an excellent program that you should update and run on a regular basis, probably weekly.
It’s important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.
FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated.
I also recommend that you read the following:
How to prevent malware by miekiemoes