Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover Permanently Deleted Files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi all - has anyone had luck using a Data Recovery program? I've accidentally permanently deleted several folders worth of my kids pictures and am trying to get them back.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you,

jcarissimo

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
First, I removed your big font. It is distracting and not necessary in a technical help forum.

Next, and most importantly, the more you use this computer, the less your chances of recovering anything becomes as temporary and other files will overwrite those locations making recovery impossible.

Did you check the recycle bin, or did you already empty the bin?

If you permanently deleted the files (emptied the recycle bin), try Recuva from the makers of CCleaner.

If these files are on the boot drive of the computer, then if possible install the recovery program on another computer. Then pull the drive you are trying to recover files from and install it as a secondary (NOT boot) drive in the second computer, or install it in an enclosure attached to this second computer. Then try to recover your files. If you install the recovery program on the same drive as the deleted files, you risk overwriting the files you are trying to restore.

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Digerati, thanks for your reply. Sorry I was out of line by increasing my font size. I did it mostly because I was having a hard time seeing my post and thought you would too.

I have stopped using the computer. I understand how it would decrease the odds of recovering my data.

The files were definitely deleted from the recycle bin. I will look into Recuva.

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Regards,
jcarissimo

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Good luck and keep us posted.

avaA

avaA

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, you can recover permanently deleted files, pictures that are deleted from Recycle Bin or deleted using Shift+Delete key combination using good file recovery software.This recovery software quickly & easily recover files from Recycle Bin.

You can download and try the demo version of the Remo Recover (Windows)- Media Edtion tool.

Edited by avaA, 28 November 2011 - 02:10 AM.

silvernoodles

silvernoodles

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi all - has anyone had luck using a Data Recovery program? I've accidentally permanently deleted several folders worth of my kids pictures and am trying to get them back.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you,

jcarissimo

Hi there,

Think i am a bit late in replying but if you are still following this link, i tried this Photo Recovery software and was able to recover almost 200 of my deleted pictures taken on my last vacations. You can try it out.

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thank you silvernoodles. My pics were actually deleted from our pc hard drive not a memory card.

To the moderator, of this site you can actually close this topic.

We've given up trying to retrieve them.

Thank you.