Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

desktop and start icons vanished

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

I think I got infected with a trojan last night. The java icon suddenly appeared by the clock when visiting a web page which I assume to be the trojan 'loading'. Suddenly I had about 20 task bar icons all the same saying c drive cannot be read and brought up a suspicious spyware removal tool I havent installed. I managed to close the programme and all the tasks when I suddenly got a warning triangle by the clock and ram usage too high. There was also a suspicious programme running in task manager which started 7OB and various numbers.exe (this seems to have gone now though)

When I have started up my computer again my desktop is now only showing the 4 icons that come with xp, all the others that were on there have been deleted. When I click the start button the list of programmes has also gone. I can still access the internet and all of my installed programmes are still on the drive and work.

Is it a trojan or has my registry maybe been corrupted?

Many thanks, Kieran

EDIT: Ive just noticed all of my files appear to be hidden even on my external harddrives. Only a few were visible (mostly .exe files). I have turned on view hidden files and they are all still there. Also I tried using the search feature and I can now longer search through just 1 drive, only 'local hard drives'

Edited by wysiwyg2008, 22 November 2011 - 10:48 AM.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,753 posts
Hi wysiwyg2008
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and and we will assist you.