Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gateway laptop needs recovery

• Please log in to reply

Larry Leipprandt

Larry Leipprandt

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My gateway laptop windows vista os will boot but that is all freezeup everytime. Trying to recover the hard drive. I dont care about files and content just want to make it opperable again. oh pushed F2 and F11 till im blue. loaded safe mode and still no luck.. Thanks

Larry

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Larry and :welcome:

See if this helps: http://support.gatew...ops/8510406.pdf

Larry Leipprandt

Larry Leipprandt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
just found out i can not get online with the gateway. It wont find my wireless router

Larry

Larry Leipprandt

Larry Leipprandt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks i tried it but it went right to normal windows boot. Also no internet on the gateway. this thing sat under my couch for almost two years before i found it and tried to get it going again. Bought a vista boot disk online for ten bucks that didnt work. Cant see the disk on the gateway????

Larry

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Vista disk for $10? Doesn't sound legit to me.

Larry Leipprandt

Larry Leipprandt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
found free one on youtube and burned it gateway doesnt even know it has a cd dvd drive what ever the virus was / is it takes care of every option and diables any way to fix it, i am humbled

Larry

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
What virus? You did not mention that before. This initially sounded like hardware problem with the system freezing - which could be due to heat, power problems or some component failing. It may be time to take it to a shop.

Larry Leipprandt

Larry Leipprandt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for all your help so far. I dont know if it is a virus. dvd/cd drive doesnt boot. wont let me format the hd, cant get online, basically it will boot up and i can look around but i cant seem to fix anything. network wont let me see my wireless router. I have tried to change the setting to deiscover any networks available. It keeps turning it off after i try to allow it. I would just like to dump everything and install new os. cant even do that. I am really at a loss. I was trying to save the $100.00 taking it to the shop would cost.

Larry

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you suspect malware check out our Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide.

Larry Leipprandt

Larry Leipprandt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
forgot to mention that i already did yesterday. ran it three times or more. and still nothing works, I went to gateway and downloaded some drivers and other software too. at this time i just want to wipe HD clean and start over it. reload OS and move on. do you know how i can do this? thanks Larry

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
To start over you will need an legitimate copy of Windows.

Larry Leipprandt

Larry Leipprandt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
K thanks

used cd gone still cant find cd/dvd really cant fix it if i cant get online or load cd can i>?

Edited by Larry Leipprandt, 27 November 2011 - 07:47 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If the optical drive is not seen in the BIOS, you have very limited options. You might check on resetting the BIOS - generally by pulling the battery. And you can search on booting from flash drive but it seems your notebook is toast.