Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD burner suddenly running slower?

• Please log in to reply

muzik_guy

muzik_guy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've always used DeepBurner for all of my burning & it's always been lightning fast. Maybe 3mins tops for a CD burn & maybe 10mins for DVD. I've been using the dreadful Windows Media Player to rip CDs but recently decided to install Audiograbber to do the job. My first rip or two was extremely fast, running an avg of 25-35X. When I tried running DeepBurner after this, it took 15mins to burn an audio CD & it has remained that way ever since. Making matters worse, ripping has also slowed to 5X, so now everything is just painfully slow. Can anyone advise on what could be causing the problem & what solutions might be available to correct it? I'd so appreciate any help offered. Gracias :)

Advertisements

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
A couple of possibles:
1-Too many background processes running eating up CPU usage
2-Not enough ram

If your using the DeepBurner free version it might have a few bugs that cause randomly poor performance. Many freeware burners do.

ImgBurn would be my top freeware recommendation http://www.imgburn.com/

muzik_guy

muzik_guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the tips Akabilk, but I've learned a quick fix for this problem. Though my system is lacking in RAM, that was not the cause nor were there any resource hogging processes running on my PC. This may be helpful to other users here encountering similar problems:

CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > HARDWARE > DEVICE MANAGER

Locate the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers & check properties on each. If any are in PIO mode, switch them to DMA if possible. If not, simply uninstall the driver & reboot. They will default to DMA. I didn't know this but if WIN XP detects any succession of read/write errors on your CD/DVD drive, it switches them to PIO mode & only a manual reset will revert them back. Hope this helps some peeps here :)

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
That's a very handy tip I certainly didn't know. Thanks for coming back and sharing it with this forum.

I"ll add that tip to my "troublshooting" files.

All the best,
Aka :thumbsup: