Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unwanted Taskbar Notification Property resetting

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have always had the Wireless Network Connection disabled and long ago set (and have frequently reset) the properties for its icon in the Notification area to "always hide". When I reboot or just Restart, I often find the icon showing. A check of the "Properties/Notification" box then has it reset to "Hide when Inactive". Also, sometimes when I open the "Custon Notifications" box under properties, the symbol is showing but the "Wireless..." name is missing. No other icon behaves this way and the behavior is inconsistent. It seems to occur often, but not always, after running CCleaner (set only to delete Temp Files) although, if after running CC I check the Properties/Notification, I always find the setting still correct. Sometimes this happens even without running CC, but in any case the change only shows after reboot or restart. It's not a real problem, just an annoyance which I'd like to understand (and of course fix).

This is on an Aspire 5002 running Windows XP, SP3.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I apologise for the wait, very occasionally a thread is overlooked, due to the vast number of posts on the site.

Is the item in your startup list on
Start
Run
type msconfig
Click on the startup tab.
If the wireless network is there and checked.
Remove it from the list by unchecking it.
When you restart - check the small box do not show this message again.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks for the response.

Under the 'Startup' tab, I don't have a box for anything appearing related to the wireless network. Under 'Services', there is a box but it has long been, and remains, unchecked.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When the icon appears in the Notifications area of the Taskbar - go Device Manager expand the entry Network adaptors and right click the entry for the Wireless adaptor - does disable then show on the right click menu. - I appreciate that you say you have disabled it - but I wonder if it is being enabled.

Are you using Windows to manage the wireless connection, if so renable the connection - uncheck USE Windows Wireless Management to Manage this Connection and then after applying that change, disable it again.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I had been using 'Control Panel/Network connection' to get to the wireless connection, which always showed as "Disabled".

I followed your suggestion about using 'Device Manager' and right-clicking to disable it, and that seems to have worked; the icon is not only hidden, but is gone from the list under 'Custon Notification' now so doesn't show even when I click the arrow to show hidden icons.

Are not both of these commands from the Windows program? Is the second perhaps at a lower level than the first? Or, is some other better explanation?

On a related note, would it be reasonable to ask you here about the seemingly corrupted file for the system icon in this same Notification area, which causes it to show no name in the list and to not respond to a curser by showing a "tool tip", as all the others do? I think someone tried to delete the icon by right-clicking, once long ago...

In any case, thanks for the help so far.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked, when you disable in Network Connections - you disable it as a NETWORK connection.

When you disable in Device Manager - you disable as a device.

That is the difference.

seemingly corrupted file for the system icon in this same Notification area

Could you please enlarge on this as the system icons are commonly accepted to be the clock, network, power and speaker.

There are a number of ways in which the problem or rather the annoyance is perhaps a better word may be addressed, but I really need to know which icon it is.

Also DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER PROBLEMS you are aware of please.

Would you please also run a chkdsk /r
You may do this either from the GUI of My computer, right click the drive carrying windows, click properties, then tools, then error checking and then Check NOW.
click to check both boxes and then click START.
Agree the message to run on restart and then do so.
Please do not interrupt it, this is a five stage check.
If you do not see the results we will obtain them later.

Alternatively you may run it from a command prompt Click Start, run and type cmd
Then at the prompt type
chkdsk C: /r
Key enter.
Agree the message re restart and do so please.

Would you then run please a system file check.
That is Start, run, cmd
and then at the prompt type
sfc /scannow

If it requires the XP CD, presumably you may well not have one see how far yopu can progress please without it, clicking retry and if the same request ignore.
If you have to ignore more than ONE or two.
Forget it and I will send you other instructions .

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
In the Notification area, among others, I show the time, the CPU usage, the volume and the "system icon which is three superimposed green squares, the top two standing on end, the topmost smaller. If I right click on this icon, the menu I get has five lines:

• System Property(S);
  • Display Property(D) [right arrow]
  • Application(A) [right arrow]
  • About(B)
  • Exit Tray(E
If I move the cursor to the "Display Property (D)" right arrow, I get a subdued "(Empty)" while the "Application(A)" arrow gives nothing. Left clicking on #1 in the menu gives me the "System Properties" box with its 7 tabs: "General", "System Restore"... to "Advanced". Clicking on #2 or #3 gives nothing; #4 gives a box with a smaller box/picture saying "SIS...best choice" and to its right, "Version Unknown". Clicking #5 removes the icon from the tray.

I have no other problems or annoyances that I know of except that when using FireFox (I'm still using Version 3.6) to view websites, I constantly get a drop-down message saying "Firefox prevented this page from automatically directing to another". I assume this is unrelated to what we're working on now.

I ran the chkdsk C: /r command using the first method, then restarted once it was done. At no time did I get any message about it or its findings.

When I ran the file check, hitting "Enter" gave me a message telling me to allow time for the check; a bar graph showed the progress (which took 30-40 minutes). When it finished, that message disappeared and nothing replaced it. Never got a request to play the disc, or anything else. Hope this is behaving as you wanted; awaiting your next instruction.

PS I haven't had much time here, as I need to finish an outside project before the rains and cold weather finally make it difficult.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I ran the chkdsk C: /r command using the first method, then restarted once it was done. At no time did I get any message about it or its findings.

Go Control Panel, administrative tools, event viewer.
On the left hand pane click Application.
On the main window scroll to the winlogon entries. - that is the type of entry to the right of the window.
It will be amongst the first winlogon from the top.
Open it
If it is the chkdsk results - if it NOT find the next winlogon.
Click ONCE - left click on the double page symbol - below the broad UP and Down arrows.
On your reply panel on here - right click and paste.
The results will appear

I have no other problems or annoyances that I know of except that when using FireFox (I'm still using Version 3.6) to view websites, I constantly get a drop-down message saying "Firefox prevented this page from automatically directing to another". I assume this is unrelated to what we're working on now.

Click Help on Firefox - click About Firefox - 3.6 is now very out of date.
NOT the cause of the problems in the Notifications Area but you should update.
3.6 was released January 2010.

In view of the fact you are busy with your outside project I will confine this post to the issues shown and we will run a check on the whole event logs relating to application and system when you return

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Sorry for the long delay; in addition to being busy elsewhere, I somehow didn't see the notification that you had replied here.

I opened Eventviewer, clicked the Source category to select for the entry types, and here is the result of that disc checking:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 12/10/2011
Time: 8:31:49 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ACER-2E68C49B20
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is FAT32.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Volume Serial Number is 320D-180E
Windows is verifying free space...
Free space verification is complete.
47179392 KB total disk space.
2858880 KB in 4470 hidden files.
238592 KB in 7414 folders.
31615520 KB in 108185 files.
12466368 KB are available.

32768 bytes in each allocation unit.
1474356 total allocation units on disk.
389574 allocation units available on disk.

------------------

I'l try to keep better track of your reply this time. Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I believe that record is either not re-produced as I asked OR it was not a chkdsk /r.
Would you please check again.

If it was it would look similar to this - but your system is XP so it will be on winlogon entry and not wininit as mine
The important information that is missing is

0 KB in bad sectors.

PLEASE SEND ME THE WHOLE RESULTS

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date: 16/12/2011 23:34:36
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
Computer: -----------
Description:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

105344 file records processed.
322 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
41 reparse records processed.
147006 index entries processed.
0 unindexed files processed.
105344 security descriptors processed.
Cleaning up 148 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 148 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 148 unused security descriptors.
20832 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35100224 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

30719992 KB total disk space.
20573292 KB in 83434 files.
47728 KB in 20833 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
215360 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
9883612 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
7679998 total allocation units on disk.
2470903 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
80 9b 01 00 57 97 01 00 bf af 02 00 00 00 00 00 ....W...........
28 00 00 00 29 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (...)...........
42 00 00 00 52 73 66 77 10 e6 47 00 10 de 47 00 B...Rsfw..G...G.

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Advertisements

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I am fairly sure I followed the directions correctly the first time, but have rerun the chkdsk C: /r command, restarted, and gotten the blue disc checking page/comments I always get:
-------------

The type of file system is FAT32.

Volume serial number is 320D-180E
Windows is verifying files and folders....
"X" percent completed......

-----------------

When that finished, it began free space checking and gave this response, replacing the last line above with the first below:

-----------------

File and folder verification is complete.
Windows is verifying free space.....
"X" percent completed.....

-----------------

When that finished, I rebooted and then re-ran the sfc /scannow, whereupon I got a small "Windows File Protection" window with a message inside:

"Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original version"

Beneath that, within the window, was a progress bar/graph. Once finished, the window disappeared .

Opening Eventvwr, I copied the last Winlogin results, even including the last Help statement this time:

---------------

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Date: 12/20/2011
Time: 2:51:59 PM
Computer: ACER-2E68C49B20
Description:
The type of the file system is FAT32.

Volume Serial Number is 320D-180E
Windows is verifying free space...
Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
47179392 KB total disk space.
2840608 KB in 4094 hidden files.
239264 KB in 7430 folders.
32119072 KB in 114159 files.
11980416 KB are available.

32768 bytes in each allocation unit.
1474356 total allocation units on disk.
374388 allocation units available on disk.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

---------------------
Perhaps the file system checking was interrupted last time; in any case, it sees no problem this time, according to the above result.

I have never gotten all the information your system has, and have always assumed mine ws working as designed. I 'inherited' this system when I first got on computers three or four years ago so didn't see it when new. I'm sure the unit's program came preloaded and didn't include the WinXP disk so I wouldn't know how to check if the backup file somehow got changed.

Edited by TooNew2, 20 December 2011 - 06:50 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

When that finished, I rebooted

Note: When CHKDSK has completed its scans, the machine will proceed to load and Boot to Windows, without need for the user to take any action.

However the 1000$ question is, has anything changed with the problem after that chkdsk and especially the scannow.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

When that finished, I rebooted

Note: When CHKDSK has completed its scans, the machine will proceed to load and Boot to Windows, without need for the user to take any action.

However the 1000$ question is, has anything changed with the problem after that chkdsk and especially the scannow.

I stand corrected; I should have said it rebooted and I signed in, then ran the file check.

As for the last question, no; nothing has changed with respect to the System icon, its behavior etc.

FWIW and so far as I can tell, nothing else is different either.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks.
I was not, trying to make a point. I was just concerned that you had rebooted,

Try this
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;283084

I am not a real fan of these automatic fixes, but it is worth a try

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster