Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unwanted Taskbar Notification Property resetting

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Hello;

No, nothing to report about this particular problem. I was offline most of the Holidays, had a bad headache nearly all of today, and also am hesitant to go that route just to fix an annoyance so have not followed up on that last suggestion. I did somehow have a few other related problems just before Christmas, one being that the AVG icon disappeared....details not of consequence, but I downloaded AVG again and ran the repair function to fix that. I have learned a few things during this process.

I think it might be best to abandon this quest for now; if I do work on the problem again and find anything of value, I'd like to be able to post those results here at that time. In closing, I do want to thank you again for your time and help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am a little uncertain as to what you mean when you say

also am hesitant to go that route just to fix an annoyance

as it is nothing more than click on automatic fix.

However the decision is of course yours.
Good luck with it.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I am a little uncertain as to what you mean when you say

also am hesitant to go that route just to fix an annoyance

as it is nothing more than click on automatic fix.

However the decision is of course yours.
Good luck with it.

The title of that article was

(Article ID: 283084 - Last Review: March 26, 2011 - Revision: 7.0)

"How do I clear past items from the Customize Notifications dialog box in Windows XP?"

My problem isn't with the list of past items but rather the current item's behavior. If that "automatic Fix" isn't designed for my situation, isn't there always some small possibility it may do more harm than good? If something in that area of the registry has already somehow changed slightly, might not making more changes just make things worse?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When we started you had a problem with the wireless connection notification.
It was solved.

We then progressed to other icons in the notifications area of the taskbar.

On XP and indeed on Vista and 7, although on the latter two the arrangement is slightly different - what is commonly referred to as the taskbar
may more properly be split into the following arrangement

The Windows XP® taskbar is divided into three areas: the quick launch bar, task button area and system tray, which Microsoft refers to as the notification area. By default the left end of the taskbar contains the quick launch bar, the middle portion displays the task buttons, and the right end holds the system tray.

Dealing with that aspect
The system tray occupies the far end of the taskbar, displaying icons for utility and services that are running. Here you will see the system clock, battery indicator, network indicators, Bluetooth® services, and firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware icons for programs that are actively protecting your computer. The system tray can also hold optional shortcuts to configurable utilities that are running, like speaker volume and graphics card settings. In Windows Vista® the notification area separates system utility icons from program icons.

The system tray or notification area provides critical information at a glance. You can quickly confirm that your firewall and other protective services are up and running. It might also show unneeded services that are running, wasting valuable system resources. To shut down a service, right-click on the icon and choose "exit" from the popup menu. If the service is configured to run each time Windows starts, the icon will reappear at the next boot.

If you execute a print job, you should see a printer icon appear in the system tray. Should a problem occur double-click the icon to jump to the print queue where you can read details about the error. This is particularly handy if printing through a network where the printer is not visible from your desk. Nobody likes arriving at a printer only to discover the print job needs to be resent!

IF YOU RIGHT CLICK the system tray area, not on a particular icon and then click Customize notifications, or right click anywhere on the taskbar and then click properties. You then see on that window, a small box to check Hide inactive icons and if you then click the customize botton on the lower right of the window that opens YOU arrive at this screen with current icons and past icons.
Each entry when you select it has a drop down arrow, to the right with three options.

WHEN you click Customize notifications - you are then here at this window
[attachment=55061:Untitled.jpg]

the screenshot is from Vista I am using on this computer but the XP window is more or less identical.

IN MY OPINION, as you say you have already tried this procedure, the first step is to remove from the file where they are stored all the past icons.
This will do NO HARM, otherwise I would NOT have suggested it.

THAT ALL SAID
I have spent my time typing out most of this, although some is a copy and paste, as I NEVER like to leave a thread, when in ANY way the person I have been helping, seems a little unhappy with the advice, or the progress of the thread.

I am not in any manner, suggesting that you should NOT have queried my advice - indeed on my signature notes at the end of each post is that specific remark
PLEASE query etc.

HOWEVER having done so if you choose NOT to follow the advice, then there is little that can be done to assist you.

HOPE you get it sorted.
Regards
Macboatmaster

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I do, and did previously, understand all the above which you typed about the taskbar, and will emphatically state that I was not in any way unhappy with you or your advice. As I believe I stated earlier in other words, this was somewhat of an academic exercise in that the problem was not of real significance. Lots of other strange or problematic situations have come up lately, most not at all associated with the computer, (e.g. I just had to rush down for a medical delivery) which are requiring all my time and attention, and I have decided to set this aside until if or when I again get the time and inclination to fully understand the details. I do understand your need to see resolution of things you help with, and I apologize it won't happen here, at least not now.
Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I do understand your need to see resolution of things you help with, and I apologize it won't happen here, at least not now.

No problem all the best.
The need to see a resolution as you say, was only from your aspect not mine.
My ONLY concern was that you seemed unsettled with the advice

My problem isn't with the list of past items but rather the current item's behavior. If that "automatic Fix" isn't designed for my situation, isn't there always some small possibility it may do more harm than good? If something in that area of the registry has already somehow changed slightly, might not making more changes just make things worse?

and the answer is STILL - not the slightest chance that anything will be made worse.