Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need a little help

• Please log in to reply

rswitz85

rswitz85

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Currently in the process of building a new rig and was wondering what memory would go good with this configuration. I'm a pretty novice builder(built one for my brother) so keep this in mind.

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply:CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

MoBo:ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU:Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

GPU:ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SSD:??? should I pick one up

Cooling:??? also another should I pick up

That's my current build so far. Like I said I'm not sure on the memory I should use due to sandy bridge being touchy(from what I have read) with 1333 and 1600. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. Also any criticism about the current build would be much appreciated as well(alternate parts).

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Hi rswitz85 and :welcome:

Note that motherboard makers maintain QVLs - qualified vendors lists - for CPUs and RAM that is compatible with their motherboards on the motherboard's websites. Yours are here. You must buy a CPU from the list but there are too many RAM makers and models for them to test all, so you must buy RAM with matching specs of listed RAM.

SSD? Depends on how you want to use it. Many today are using an SSD as their boot drive.

Cooler? Note that both Intel and AMD require the use of the supplied coolers. Using aftermarket coolers violates the terms of the warranties.

I don't see RAM or an operating system listed. Since that is a dual-channel memory architecture motherboard, I recommend 8Gb of RAM. And with 8Gb, you will need a 64-bit OS so I recommend 64-bit Windows 7. And of course, since this is a new computer, it will require a new Windows license anyway.

rswitz85

rswitz85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, I will be using windows 7 64-bit sp-1 OS. Problem I was having with choosing ram was because I wasn't sure if the sandy bridge can handle anything other than 1333. Or if I bump up to 1600 with higher voltage will there be a problem. I saw Kingston hyperx 16gb set but it's 1600 and wanted to make sure. Also yes for just using ssd as a boot. Also can the ssd be used as a cache as well or is that not possible? Cooling wise I was just wondering if I should go aftermarket with this setup.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
The motherboard/Chipset is responsible for making sure the RAM and CPU communicate. According to the CPU Spec Sheet, it supports 1066/1333 RAM. If you buy 1600 and the motherboard supports that 1600, it will toggle down to work with the CPU.

For the SSD, when you say cache, if you mean the Page File, then yes, it is an excellent place for the Page File. Note that 16Gb of RAM is generally considered to be overkill and 8Gb should me more than enough.

Cooling wise I was just wondering if I should go aftermarket with this setup.

I see no reason why. The OEM coolers are excellent. They have to be since they are the only heatsink fan (HSF) assemblies out there guaranteed to cover the CPU replacement in the rare event the HSF should fail. And I assure you, neither Intel or AMD want to replace any CPU because their cooler failed. Most aftermarket HSFs are warrantied for just 1 year and do not cover CPU replacement. And as noted before, using an aftermarket cooler violates the terms of the warranty.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Most aftermarket HSFs are warrantied for just 1 year and do not cover CPU replacement. And as noted before, using an aftermarket cooler violates the terms of the warranty.

I just wanted to note that this would only be a issue if the cpu is a retail version with the HSF assembly included. A OEM CPU there really should be no issue but I would say make sure what you get is not only sufficient but will fit in your allowed space in the case. A big mistake a lot of people make is buying a huge HSF assembly and find out it wont fit in the case correctly.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Good point. I should have said "CPUs that come boxed with supplied coolers".