Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System powers on and then stops

• Please log in to reply

GururajShetty

GururajShetty

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When I switch on the wall power unit, my system starts up for 2 seconds and then stops. Again when I press the power button on my PC Cabinet, it powers on correctly. Why does it power on when i just switch on the wall power unit? Could it be my PSU?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi GururajShetty and :welcome:

It could be your power supply. I generally don't recommend using power strips or wall switches to power computers on or off - especially if the same switch is powering other devices too, like monitors, speakers, lights, etc. as it typically a takes a few cycles for the voltage stabilize and that can confuse, and is hard on, a PSU.

Note the ATX Form Factor Standard requires all PC PSUs to provide +5Vsb standby voltages to several points across the motherboard when the computer is shutdown, but still plugged in to the wall (and if equipped, the master power switch on the back of the PSU is set to on). If no master power switch, or if the master power switch is set to on, when you flip the wall switch, the PSU applies this +5Vsb voltage and that is probably what you are seeing.

To prevent this, I would recommend you leave the wall switch on at all times. If not possible then first, make sure you are properly exiting Windows and shutting down the computer when you are done using it. Then, if your PSU has a master switch, I recommend you set it to off when done. When ready to use the computer again, flip the wall switch. Then the master switch on the PSU. Then the front panel switch. If no master switch, unplug the PSU cord instead. Then plug it back in after turning on the wall switch.

GururajShetty

GururajShetty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello Digerati,

Thank you very much for the welcome and the solution.

Its Geeks to go for sure!!! :thumbsup:

Regards,
Gururaj Shetty

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You are welcome.