Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Udated Windows and IE but now won't start windows

• Please log in to reply

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I just finished updating Windows because I kept getting dll errors. I also decided to allow the update that prompted me for IE 9. When the computer tries to reboot, it only goes to diagnostic screen and cannot repair. Any suggestions would be great. I tried booting in safe mode, but still no luck. (I have Vista)
Thank you! Holly

Edited by HMiddleton, 23 November 2011 - 10:59 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?

If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
Total memory installed
Total hard drive capacity and free space
What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue - if any besides the attempt to load Safe Mode.

Do you have the Vista DVD install disc.

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
In order to help fix your (current) problem, answers to Macboatmaster's wise questions are the best place to start.

Not many people actually use IE in the US as their main browser, although in China and South Korea, IE has approx 90% of usage share.

Firefox seems to be the most popular in the US with Google Chrome (big in South America) rapidly on the rise and up the ladder and the browser I use (Opera) although well known, maintains a fairly small stable band of followers, unless you live in Belarus (56%) or the Ukraine (36%) :lol:

I did have a look at IE9 for awhile but found it a bit buggy and still way too slow, so I rolled-back to IE8 which is very stable and use it for the odd site or two.

Unless you are a serious IE user or there are other issues involved causing your problem, I would boot to safe mode (when you boot, start tapping F8) and choose the option Last Known Good Configuration: You can use this option to quickly rectify erroneous configurations that were made to the system. It basically activates System Restore to the point before you tried to install IE9 (back to IE8). Believe me, your not missing much.

Edited by Akabilk, 23 November 2011 - 03:10 PM.

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have a HP pavilion desktop
4096 MB system memory
500 GB hard drive

Don't know how much free space, but pretty sure there is plenty.

The computer launched a self repair, which did not work and it shut down (tried this several times). I have tried to launch in safe mode and last known good configuration. I tried a previous restore point, but it says there is not one. I can't remember if I have created a restore point???? Thought I had, but this is my son's computer and I don't get on it much, so maybe not.
This computer recently had a redirect virus that I was working on resolving when all this happened. I followed geekstogo steps to debug it and it seemed to be helping. Like I said, the last 2 things I did were update Windows and IE 9.
I do not have the Vista DVD install disc.
Thanks so much for your help!
Holly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As it is an HP Pavilion please provide the exact model details.

Also on some branded computers the F8 key in addition to Safe Mode in all forms Last Known Good, VGA mode etc has other options - indicative of HP`s recovery does YOURS please.

I appreciate that with it being HP or indeed any branded make you may not have the actual Vista disc. - Do you have any HP discs.

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
HP Pavilion a6442p PC
It has several F8 options:
safe mode (also with networking and command prompt)
enable boot logging
enable low-resolution video
last known good configuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement
start windows normally

no discs came with computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I was hoping you would have this

• Repair your computer
  • Safe Mode
  • Safe mode with Networking
  • Safe mode with Command Prompt
  • Enable Boot Logging
  • Enable low resolution video (640x480)
  • Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
  • Directory Services restore mode
  • Debugging Mode
  • Disable automatic restart on system failure
  • Disable driver signature enforcement
  • Start Windows Normally
HOWEVER from your post it seems that your HP does not. That does not mean anything is worng it is simply that some OEM computers have that included and some do not.

I do NOT expect it to work but before we progress TRY LOW resolution mode first, just in case you have installed any update for the graphics card.

If that does not work TRY Disable driver signature enforcement - that will allow any driver you have updated that Vista does not like to still load.

Please reply with how that went and what options were presented to you on the diagnostic screen.

I am signing off now it is 1420 hrs UK time I will be back about 2000hrs

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Windows failed to start for both modes. I launched diagnostics repair, and it said "failed" for both.
Holly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you have valuable data on the computer of which you do not have a backup.

I am not saying that our attempts to repair it will damage your data OR indeed fail, but it is best if you have to secure it now.

Reply to that please and if you have I will send you a program to recover it and back it up to another computer.

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Just pictures that I would like to save.
Holly

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please use this procedure

http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

It has the added advantage that in addition to recovering your pictures, it is to some extent a test of your hardware, memory and hard disk etc.

Please just post if you have any queries, or when you have recovered your data and we will then try and repair the errors, that are preventing you from loading Windows.

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Unless I missed it in the guide (sorry if I did), an important note about copying files with Puppy:

*Puppy will not copy more than one folder at a time.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

*Puppy will not copy more than one folder at a time.

so do one at a time until the flash drive is full

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Akabilk

As happyrock has said, HMiddleton, will simply copy until the drive is full.

From the guide

For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

May I ask that if you wish to discuss the issue further, we proceed by PM, (providing it is not an issue on which you require help) as to continue on the thread may confuse HMiddleton.

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
we are stuck in puppy linux. kernel panic- not synching: attempted to kill init!
didn't get very far. ready to say forget the pictures!!!
I appreciate your help! Holly