Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Udated Windows and IE but now won't start windows

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am signing off.

Back as usual about 2000 hrs Uk time.

If that chkdsk does now run.
Then try and boot windows normally.
If no success Safe Mode.

If still no success before we proceed I would like you to try that Puppy Cd in another computer and see if it will boot the computer to the Puppy screen in ram.

Do not do anything else. Just exit out of Puppy and take out the CD and nothing will have changed.

If it will NOT boot another computer to the Puppy screen, it is a faulty burn.

Would you please make another Puppy and then try that in THIS computer.

Goodnight.

Advertisements

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
thanks so much!
Night

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Last night, I got chkdsk to run. Still would not boot windows. Not in safe mode either.
I got Puppy to run and have saved the files I want from the HP to my external hard drive.
Holly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well done, how did you sort Puppy?

Did you see the chkdsk results - what was reported. if you saw it.

Please go back to the F8 screen and try again a startup repair, it may just work, now after the chkdsk.

So that I may decide the next most appropriate course of action and now you have your personal data, do you also have programs on that computer that you do not have the installation media for. If we have to proceed to a complete recovery, these may well be lost.

Finally does the computer still boot to the same as on your opening post

When the computer tries to reboot, it only goes to diagnostic screen

and please provide details of any message that is on that or any earlier screen.

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Start up repair said no problems were found. Still doing the same thing when I start the computer. It cycles through trying to start, restarts, then goes to windows error screen where you have the option to start up repair or start windows normally. Neither option is working. It then asks if you want to send a report to Windows, I have lately been choosing "Don't send", then it shuts down.
I have the programs I need.
How did I sort Puppy? I don't understand... I copied the files onto my external drive and checked to make sure they were there. It worked after 3rd try using the same first disk I burned. Don't know why it wouldn't before.
Holly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

How did I sort Puppy? I don't understand.... It worked after 3rd try using the same first disk I burned. Don't know why it wouldn't before.

That was what I meant, new burn, apparently faulty read on otpical drive (DVD/CD drive) etc.

There are NOW two ways to proceed, if you had a full backup of everything, as a complete image of the hard drive OR the recovery disks that it was advisable to create we could have used a combination of the two and those together with your regular day to day backup of your personal data, would have resulted in returning to how it was before this error.

However, that of course is for your future reference it does not help now.

1. We may proceed using the cmd console in an attempt to repair the problem. This of course cannot be guaranteed.
and may take sometime. (PLEASE NOTE - I do not mind how long)

2. In view of the fact that you say you have your data and your installation media for the programs we can return the computer to factory condition.
NOTE PLEASE - exactly what it says, as it was when sold.
Therefore you will have updates and SP2 for Vista to install and possibly driver issues to sort out, but of course I will assist.

If we proceed with 1. above then, if that was successful, I would be recommending your post in our Malware forum, due to the comment on your third post

This computer recently had a redirect virus that I was working on resolving when all this happened. I followed geekstogo steps to debug it and it seemed to be helping. Like I said, the last 2 things I did were update Windows and IE 9.

You did mention system restore points and your creation of them
Unless system restore is turned off OR there is another reason why it cannot be accessed, it does not matter whether you created one or not, as Windows creates one, when programs are removed or installed , drivers are changed, etc. Updates are installed, or indeed, if none of those occur it still creates one every so often.

Before I provide further instructions and in order not to confuse you, would you please review the above and decide which way you wish to proceed.

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I would like to try option 1. Using cmd to try to correct the problem.
holly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On the first post screen, it will tell you which key is to enter setup.
I think itis F10 on that computer.

Tap that key immediately you see that message.

Go to setup in the BIOS screen and look for the screen that shows the hard drive, ensure the drive is recognised.

The go to the screen that shows the boot priority and ensure that the hard drive C is the second boot device. Leave the first boot device as the CD, as we may need to run other CD boots.

Here is the link to your computer if you have diffciulties download the manual. The isntructions re the BIOS and the screens are in there.
http://h10025.www1.h...en&cc=us&dlc=en

If it does not go to the right page for your a6442p simply insert that detail to get back to it.

When you have done that we will proceeed to another check on the hard drive to assure ourselves that we are not dealing with a failing drive

See next post please

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Check your hard drive as follows please
This information applies to HP and Compaq desktop computers.This document contains information on using the SMART hard disk drive device tests (select models only). When SMART is enabled, the SMART status check for all hard disk drives is automatically performed every time the computer is turned on or restarted. For a more thorough test than the SMART status check, you can perform a SMART Short Self-Test and an SMART Extended Self-Test.For more information on accessing and using BIOS and BIOS settings, see BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options . - this link is clickable
SMART Support settingsTo use the BIOS SMART test, complete the following steps:
  • Start the computer.
  • Use one of the following methods to enter the BIOS Setup utility:
    • If your computer was built in 2006 or later (Windows Vista or later), immediately press the F10 key. You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.
    • If your computer was built before 2006 (Windows XP or earlier), press the F1 key . You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.
  • Use the arrow keys to select a recognized hard disk drive device in the list and press Enter .
  • Select SMART Support and press Enter .
  • Select one of the following hard disk drive device tests:
    • SMART Status Check: Checks the status of the hard disk drive SMART status. Displays whether SMART support is enabled or disabled.
    • SMART Short Self-Test: Runs a short self-test on the hard disk drive.
    • SMART Extended Self-Test: Runs an Extended self-test on the hard disk drive. This may take some time.
  • Press Enter to start the test.
  • The test begins and the test status displays.
PLEASE carry out the SMART status check first.

Then the short test. If it passes proceed to the extended test please.

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
status check: ok
short test: passed
extended self-test: failed value: 7 (completed with the read e of the test failed)

ran the extended test twice.

Holly

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run this one - However it requires you to make a CD

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD
You are downloading Seatools for dos - ISO image on a CD

It is NO use proceeding to an attempt to repair using the cmd console until we have establsihed if that hard drive is failing.
I think I mentioned that it maybe the drive at the start of the thread.
Although Puppy worked, that is very tolerant of drive errors and any attempt to change the files, by way of repairing them on that drive may end in complete disaster.

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have checked boot device priority and its set for floppy 1st, dvd 2nd, hard drive 3rd (there is no floppy drive). It runs the dvd drive when starting, but Seatools will not load. I have tried different dvds and cds. I formatted the disks to make sure they were clean. I tried downloading Seatools again and burned it again. No luck. Any suggestions?
Holly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is as I said an ISO image as Puppy was.
Have you burnt the CD using the ISO burner I sent for Puppy.

As explained in the link I sent for Seagate on post 41
  • In order to use the newest SeaTools for DOS, download the bootable CD image version to your desktop.
  • Burn the .ISO file to a CD.
  • Once the bootable media has been created, boot the computer with the media in the drive. If it doesn't boot from the media, the boot order may need to be adjusted in the computer BIOS.

HMiddleton

HMiddleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ran SeaTools. Short test passed. Long test passed after repair.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Did it indicate the type of error - I believe it reports the error and then asks if you wish it to attempt to repair the error.
Please post the details if you have them.

2. Go now please to F8 again and select repair your computer.
This time on the next screen please select SYSTEM RESTORE.

I know you have already tried this but there is a SLIGHT chance that this may now work, as a result of the "repairs"
When you then get to the system restore option you should have a screen -
RESTORE SYSTEM FILES AND SETTINGS
You then click on next

You should now have a screen
CHOOSE A RESTORE POINT
You select the ONE before this problem started the date of the point is shown
AND then click NEXT

The next screen - MAY be
CONFIRM disks to RESTORE.
The disk that the Vista O/S is on C will be checked and CANNOT be unchecked.
However there MAY be another disk shown below that is NOT checked.
If that is the CASE - click to check that one please as well as C
and again click NEXT

The next screen is CONFIRM your restore point
This will then tell you if BOTH disks are covered by the restore point or ONLY C drive
PLEASE note what that says but PROCEED ( even if both are not covered by that point) with the C drive restore by clicking FINISH

If it works you will then receive a screen
System Restore completed successfully.
If that is the case click on RESTART

If it reports that the restore point selected COULD NOT repair the system then
GO BACK to the start and select an EARLIER restore point..

NOTE
Would you please post back with details of what occurred - how far you got with it and ANY screen messages you received.
Would you also include any details of the report from the disk check at my item ONE on this post.

IF THIS does not now work we will then proceed to the attempted repair using the command prompt.