Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Boot Xp Home

• Please log in to reply

philipwk

philipwk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to do a clean install Windows Xp Home.
I have Windows xp pro on my pc now and I want to install Windows xp Home.
When i try to install from the cd the system tells me the software i have installed is earler version than what i am trying to install, and won't let me install.
I go to bios set the first boot device, the pc starts and says push any key to start from CD at this time I can't type or get any key to work.
I made a formatting floppy put in the "A" drive and set the bios to floppy first boot and when it goes to A:\ at this instant I can't type anything at all.
please help

philipwk

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi philipwk and :welcome:
Do you have a full retail XP home installation disk?
XP pro will not allow you to do what you are attempting because XP home is in essence an inferior OS due to the fact that it does not have all the features that XP pro does and that is why you are getting the earlier version message.
If you are certain that you want to do a full format and fresh installation you will need to use a superior OS disk or a 3rd party software to format the HDD and then partition and install XP home on the HDD.