Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan-Spy.html.smitfraud.c

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

peacemaker05

peacemaker05

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

Background:
I'm running Windows 98, PIII - Have had major problems attempting to remove Trojan-Spy.html.smitfraud.c Hijaker. I downloaded almost everything made to detect it and nothing caught it yet.

I had a few pretty nasty malware programs that would disable anti-virus protection by killing the .exe files needed to make them work. My IE was toast, would not open and generated Runtime errors, and IE Elplorer errors in modudel "Unknown" and I know that's a virus.

I'm using Firefox, Mozilla, and I also downloaded Netscape to ensure I could get online during this situation-but, that meant I could not perform online virus scans such as Panda's Active Scan or any of the others requiring an IE browser.

In addition, any virus detection software that I downloaded would somehow be disabled by the malware so I know the parasites were paying close attention to what was going on. The virus(es) even tried to disable the shareware version of Panda's Titanium, Platinum, and True Prevent (yes I downloaded them all) but, Titanium found 11 malware programs and disinfected them. I was unable to update the virus definitions, so it missed T-Spy and its variants.

Currently:

I now have IE somewhat functional now but it still won't display images so I haven't yet fixed the problem. So realizing that, HELP! I have downloaded CW Shredder, TDS-3, Spybot S&D, Hijack This, Pocket Killbox and several other Viral detection and removal programs, however many of them point to IE to obtain Updates on the Web (is there a work around for that?) Without updated definitions the latest viral strains are missed by most software.

Need some advice for the direction to take to end this fight with my computer. I have attached the Hijack this log as of 6/1/05. By the way, I have exposed all hidden files, and I have searched Add/Remove programs and removed IGuard. However, I did not recognize any other malware programs, they most likely are in the registry.

Also, when I attempt to install Ad-Ware SE Personal I get a DW15.exe error stating WININET.EXE or a file attached to it is missing...then I get the following error message...(Run Time Errors '-2147024891(80070005)': I also get IE performed an error at module URLMON.EXE and will be shut down.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:25:47 AM, on 06/01/2005
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IOMEGA\AUTODISK\ADSERVICE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\PASSRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\PAVFNSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\PSIMSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\FIREWALL\PAVFIRES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\PAVPROT9.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\PAVKRE9X.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\PREVSRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\WEBPROXY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IOMEGA\AUTODISK\ADUSERMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IOMEGA\DRIVEICONS\IMGICON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TPPALDR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\APVXDWIN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HISTORYKILL\HISTKILL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HISTORYKILL\HKPOPUPKILLER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\SRVLOAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\AUDIO\HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\UPGRADER.EXE

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.msnbc.com"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\pqcywukb.slt\prefs.js)
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CMOZILLA.ORG%5CMOZILLA%5Csearchplugins%5Cgoogle.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\pqcywukb.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] soundman.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Echo Gals2 Jump Start] echostr2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPP Auto Loader] C:\WINDOWS\TPPALDR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SCANINICIO] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum 2005 Internet Security\Inicio.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APVXDWIN] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum 2005 Internet Security\APVXDWIN.EXE" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ADService] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PavProc] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panda Software\PavShld\PavPrS9x.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PANDASCHEDULER] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum 2005 Internet Security\Pavsched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PANDA ANTISPAM SERVER SERVICE] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum 2005 Internet Security\PasSrv.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PAVFNSVR] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum 2005 Internet Security\PavFnSvr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PSIMSVC] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum 2005 Internet Security\PSIMSVC.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PAVFIRES] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum 2005 Internet Security\Firewall\PavFires.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Pavprot9] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum 2005 Internet Security\Pavprot9.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Pavkre9X] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum 2005 Internet Security\Pavkre9X.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Panda Preventium+ Service] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SOFTWARE\PANDA PLATINUM 2005 INTERNET SECURITY\PREVSRV.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HistoryKill] C:\Program Files\HistoryKill\histkill.exe /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uninstal] regsvr32 /u /s image.dll
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] G:\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Hewlett-Packard Recorder.lnk.disabled
O4 - Startup: HPAiODevice.lnk.disabled
O4 - Startup: Palo Alto Software Update Manager 8.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Palo Alto Software\8.0\PAS8_Update.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {261E84C5-C0D6-40A4-90DB-EE3AB25AB607} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {261E84C5-C0D6-40A4-90DB-EE3AB25AB607} - (no file) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O21 - SSODL: XmLdrLocation - {0C887F38-5178-43DA-B9F0-B856141FCDA4} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mserrtrc.dll
Attached File hijackthis6105.log.txt ( 5.91k ) Number of download :tazz:

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Duplicate post.