Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best processor for price AM2+

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi,

I currently have:

Athlon 64 X2 4600+
MSI K9A2 CF-F Socket AM2+ ATX Motherboard MS-7388
Corsair TX 850 PSU

I bought the AM2+ Mobo after my old one went kaput, so I could continue to use my current CPU but also upgrade, and now is the time to do it I think. I'm looking for as much processing power as I can get for a good price, and I'm wondering which CPU would be the best buy. Probably don't want the fastest I can get as high-end tends to get very expensive, and I also find that in recent years the difference in performance between best and next-best is shrinking.

So this is the current front-runner:
AMD Phenom II X4 955

What I'm asking for is a) confirmation that this will indeed work with my Mobo (what I've read suggests it should, but I'd like expert confirmation before spending the money) and b) Opinions about whether there is another processor for around the same price that is better. I'd be willing to spend a little more if it get me significantly more power.

Please bear in mind I'm in Denmark and I can't buy from NewEgg or other US sites, so the prices for me may be a little different, but in general they should be proportionately the same, I think.

Thanks

Advertisements