Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dell screen issue

• Please log in to reply

timchiz

timchiz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a dell d800 with half the screen displaying white and the other half functions fine. i pluged in a monitor to see if it displayed on it but it just gave me a bunch of random colors. was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and resolved it. i checked all the cable conections and did not find a loose or damaged one.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,997 posts
Hi timchiz and :welcome:
What cable connections have you checked? You may have a bad or loose video ribbon, this goes from the motherboard to the actual screen itself and they can become damaged or loose by the repeated opening and closing of the laptop.

timchiz

timchiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
this laptop actually runs a cable to a video card that plugs directly into the motherboard there is no ribon cable from the card to the screen and i checked all the cables i even pulled the screen to check those.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,997 posts
See picture number 2 - item 2 - display cable connector this is what I meant, check the cables condition and that it is securely connected at both ends http://support.dell....lay.htm#1001090

timchiz

timchiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i checked all conections every once in a while it will work but the color will be destorted.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,997 posts

i checked all conections every once in a while it will work but the color will be destorted.

In your OP you say;

i pluged in a monitor to see if it displayed on it but it just gave me a bunch of random colors.

This is odd as the first may suggest an issue with the video cable but the second suggests a problem with the video chip.
Have you tried booting up in safe mode?

timchiz

timchiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no on that screen i can not see the options to tell me when i have selected safe mode

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,997 posts

no on that screen i can not see the options to tell me when i have selected safe mode

Sorry I do not understand, if you cannot see a screen how can you tell what you can see!

timchiz

timchiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry the left half displays white the right half works fine

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,997 posts
Laptop LCD screen has a faint image or is very dark

If there is a very faint image it is possible that the Dell Latitude D800 laptop's LCD screen lid close control switch is stuck in the closed position. In this mode the backlight stays off, even with the LCD lid open. The good news is that you may not need LCD screen replacement as this fault is often due to a faulty inverter which can be easily repaired or replaced.

Laptop LCD screen is solid white colour or garbled
This indicates that you have a problem with the Dell Latitude D800 laptopís LCD screen or the LCD cable connection.

Identical vertical lines all over the LCD screen as soon as it is turned on

These lines can be red, blue, or white and may appear as fine lines or wider bands. They are usually due to a faulty ribbon that connects internal the LCD panel

Horizontal lines appear on the screen

When horizontal lines appear on the laptop screen the fault may be poor connection between video cable and LCD screen, a faulty video cable or LCD screen failure.

Half the screen shows no image or appears black
The screen is defective and LCD screen replacement is often the only solution for this.

Flickering screen

When this occurs it is likely that the backlight of your Dell Latitude D800 laptopís LCD screen is faulty and needs replacing.
Replacement cable @ http://www.ebay.com/...5-/280582456607