Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tasktray application failure

• Please log in to reply

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

Stopped at 41% in a Safe Mode command prompt boot.

Memtest will have to be done tomorrow as i've not sorted a boot disk as i was hoping the physical test would be conclusive.

If you've had enough of this then let me know, as although the error appears still it at least doesn't freeze up all over the place anymore.

Cheers,

Simon

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have not had a enough.
Like most people on this site and certainly the Staff members, we will not GIVE UP until we have exhausted all possibilities. One of the great benefits of a site and CERTAINLY of GeekstoGo where we have some real experts in hardware matters, etc., is that the collective knowledge is of course VAST.

Stopped at 41% in a Safe Mode command prompt boot.

This is of concern.
especially as we now encounter the same aspect exactly in Safe Mode.

Please try Memtest.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

I know what you guys are like, I had cause to use G2G originally must be about 10 years ago (maybe longer actually as it was dial up i think) when i got smitfraud c and had an absolute panic up!

You guys sorted me. I had to correspond from work and do everything via floppies (pre usb stick as well i think!) as the infection killed my internet connection at home.

It was really if you had gone thru' most everything and it was some malfunction in the hardware and you felt it was enough sorted for me to carry on with, was all.

Okay, i've got the boot disk sorted but i need to access my PC from logmein during the day so don't want to leave it running memtest.

Both sticks are back in and i've left the side off for added cooling. There was no dust or fluff to speak of in the case; all pretty clean and tidy.

How long does it take to run?

Cheers,

Simon

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
For the full cycle with two sticks about one hour.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

It ran for about 2 hours with no errors and without me present. I had to get the missus to give it an esc key as i needed to get access remotley.

Does it create a log somewhere?

Cheers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. NO it does not create a log.
See the link to the guide please.
it should have taken about 30 mins on each stick.
So the actual test - one hour plus the time to swop the ram.

2. I have been studying your logs from event viewer as you know there are many of them.
One has come to my notice

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:42:59
Type: Error Category: 100
Event: 1000 Source: Application Error
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 9.0.8112.16421, time stamp 0x4d76255d, faulting module MSHTML.dll, version 9.0.8112.16437, time stamp 0x4e5eef87, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000624e1, process id 0x11c8, application start time 0x01cca7770ed921f2.

See this please -
http://support.micro....com/kb/2530548

and check that you have that update for IE9
IF you are unsure - then on IE9 click on the Help tab and then click on About Internet Explorer. - do you have any update version shown.
If NOT
Please visit Windows update and see if any are offered - particularly for IE9

3. This could also go back to the scannow failure .
By that I mean if the SFC had have completed it may well have repaired the error in the system file, if indeed that is cause.
TRY SFC on this cmd
sfc /verifyonly

There is NO space between verify and only - in otherwords as shown.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

I am about to redo memtest one strip at a time.

sfc /verifyonly also stopped at 41%.

Help About for IE9 attached. No updates available.

There was a pre install image of Office 2007 on this PC that i didn't liven up; instead i installed from disk Office 2003 that i already had (genuine copy!).

However around the time of this problem i clicked Word 2007 accidentally and it started to want to install; i cancelled it at the first available opportunity; might be a red herring.

Cheers,
Simon
ie9 Capture.JPG

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

Both strips tested separately for one pass of 8 tests with no errors.

Had this error when i launched IE9 from the G2G link in Outlook.

ie launch error Capture.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re your screenshot on post 37 and really for information only on IE9 the update version incremental increases by one for each update.
Therefore your current version is 9.0.3. eg. the third update on IE9.

As we are now satisfied that there is on ALL the evidence available no memory error. It appears that we must look towards a reinstall of IE9.
HOWEVER before you proceed with that I suggest you start IE9 with no add-ons and see if the problem still exists
he easiest way to run Internet Explorer in safe mode is to type Internet explorer in the search box of Windows start menu and choose "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" as shown in the following image: Posted Image

If that does not work please try
Tools tab - Internet Options and on the Accelerated Graphics - check the box Use Software rendering instead of GPU rendering
This will hopefully eliminate any relation to your graphics, being the cause of the problem

If neither of these provide the solution then I think you will have to proceed as per the link below
Reinstall of IE9
This will not effect your saved bookmarks, please see this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Morning Macboatmaster,

Well there haven't been any freezes but to be honest they were a lot fewer following on from the earlier clear out in this thread.

i'm quite happy to carry on with ie in safe mode as long as it doesn't effect my virus exposure.

The tasktrayapplication error is still there about 5 or 6 minutes after boot up.

When checking for updates there was an 'unimportant' nvidia one which i put on - there's a new nviida icon in the system tray now.

Cheers,

Simon

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. IE9 without add-ons will not effect your A/V protection
However you need to check what add-ons you have and proceed as here
http://windows.micro...ternet-explorer

The tasktrayapplication error is still there about 5 or 6 minutes after boot up.

Cannot remember now what was done before I joined the thread, to save me searching, kindly send me a screenshot of all items checked on msconfig on the startup tab.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Mactboatmaster,

No IE freezes today so hopefully no add ons is sorting that.

Msconfig

msconfig start up 12-04.JPG

as yopu can see, not much here anymore.

do you know of any issues with carbonite?

i know bitdef can cause issues sometimes following an update.

another little problem that i have that i believe is something to do with bitdef is that..

i have 2 outlook profiles but when i close outlook the icon remains in the systray and i have to use task manager to kill the process so i can launch my other outlook profile.

this is not something to pursue as i'm quite happy killing the process but an example of a bitdef glitch.
cheers,
simon

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I have no knowledge of Carbonite in sufficient detail to advise you.
However I do know it is an online backup and I understand that it backups every time you create or modify a file
Indeed that is confirmed on the Carbonite website
Back up
  • Whenever you create new files or modify existing ones, the Carbonite online backup software sends encrypted copies of those files over your high-speed Internet connection to a Carbonite data center.1
I would offer you this suggestion. However you would need to either try the suggestion or seek advice from BitDefender which offers free support for it users, presuming of course you have the paid for product..

My suggestion is to either disable the Carbonite backup or the BitDefender. Then shut down and reboot. See if that eliminates the error. I have a suspicion that Carbonite is commencing the backup as as soon as your Internet Connection becomes available and BitDefender is trying to also use the connection.

2. See this regarding the Google Toolbar Notifier.

Again I do not use Bit Defender., so I cannot speak with authority on the subject.

Many of us here on GeekstoGo use Microsoft Security Essentials. It is FREE, effective, unobtrusive and uses relatively few resources.

See this

http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

HOWEVER does Bitdefender not have a protection against your Google settings being changed.

If it does and I think that is the case, then I would disable that Google Toolbar Notifier.

Google settings notification (GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe)
Toolbar Notifier protects your Google search settings and notifies you if a website or programme attempts to change your default search settings. Sometimes, there may be attempts to redirect your searches without your consent. If you confirm the change and choose a new default search engine, Toolbar Notifier will be disabled automatically.

Enable or disable Toolbar Notifier
  • Click the Toolbar's spanner Posted Image icon.
  • On the Search tab, select (or deselect) the 'Set and keep Google as the default search engine' checkbox.
  • Click Save.
Finally I do not suggest that you leave these changes, nor indeed as I said in my last post do I suggest that you leave IE running with NO add-ons. In the latter case see the link I sent and enable add-ons one at a time. You will soon find the one that is causing the problem.

NB. Whatever we (rockmilk and myself) have achieved or indeed not achieved YOU still have what I consider to be the more important problem and that is the inability of SFC to complete its scan.

I believe that your system files have errors in them, possibly from the use Booster programs, make it go faster, tweak my system etc (You will know if you have used these) I was intending to move towards a repair installation of Vista which is in Vista and 7 the upgrade installation. Effectively the same as the Repair install used in XP. However such procedure is not without risk, however small that risk is and you may feel that you do not want at this stage to take that step.

You can always come back to us of course whenever you need. Either here if the thread is still open, and we do not close threads on GeekstoGo, they just naturally disappear in the fullness of time. OR of course by starting a new thread., if it is weeks hence.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,
Okay i've set carbonite to start at 10am, so my first boot in the am will preclude it from running straight off - that will be test one i guess!

I couldn't find the spanner but i checked the IE settings and all add ons are disabled in google toolbar. it mentions toolbar and toolbar helper but not notifyer is this somewhere else or not running?

Re system files i haven't ever run any boosters or anything like that - i am firmly in the 'do not dabble with what thou doesn't know' camp. So there has been no messing about on this PC!

this is a work pc so i'd rather not risk anything that may jeopardise its running.

generally everything is okay now. is there any reason not to run with add ins disabled?

even though i've only had this pc for 18 months or so perhaps i should be looking to migrate to a new on next year?

thanks for your help with all this and to rockmilk, i'll endeavour to turn services on and off and see if anything flags up over the coming weeks.

Cheers,

Simon

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

i'll endeavour to turn services on and off and see if anything flags up over the coming weeks.

I referred to add-ons Tools - Manage add-ons on IE.

Changing the start configuration of services msc is usually a matter best left.
More to the point, without exploring the dependencies both ON and TO for each service, it is a rather sure way to cause problems.

When you open a service, say for instance Remote Procedure Call - then click on Dependencies.
On the window that opens you will see services on which RPC depends and services dependant on RPC.

The trouble with altering service start configuration is that usually the person cannot remember which he has changed and indeed what it was originally.

Although there is a list of default settings, it is of little real advantage, as the installation of new hardware, a program etc will change the service from the default setting to that then required.

Take my advice please - leave services alone.
Any increase in performance by NOT having a particular service running on automatic start or changing a manual to STOP will never, generally speaking be measured.