Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Windows XP. Help!

• Please log in to reply

susanws6

susanws6

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I start my computer, Windows does not load properly. It comes up with a black screen that says there was an error then askes me if i want to start windows in safe mode, normally or last known good configuration. when i choose normally or last known, windows starts and loads into my background and thats it. the mouse moves but thats the only thing on the screen. i am on my other computer right now. i was wondering if theres any way i can reinstall windows perhaps? :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should get the task manager by pressing ctrl + alt + delete keys together, then click file then new task, type explorer.exe then press OK to get the desktop.

Click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar.

See if you have a suitable restore point