Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Massive slowdown/freeze after installing Adobe Reader 10

• Please log in to reply

Ian W

Ian W

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Trying to sort out a problem for a friend, but got nowhere.

Friend installed Adobe Reader 10. There seemed to be problems with the installation. He tried to uninstall Reader 8.x and got an error 20.

Machine is now suffering huge slowdowns - as in takes 10 minutes or more to boot, often freezes and has to be rebooted.

Did some investigation - first of all, uninstalled the Adobe 10 and manually cleaned out as much of the 8.x as I could, including stuff in appdata and temp, checked registry for any stray items etc.

Thought I had some recovery, but then, after 10 minutes, started experiencing massive slowdown - as in right-click on a text file on the desktop - 15 minutes later, the text popped up. Couldn't find registry problems with CCleaner. Couldn't see any processes in task manager that were eating cycles. Had a period, after a reboot when it seemed to be better again, installed 10 again, and it seemed to be working fine except that PDF files were showing up as being opened by Word. Did an open with, and the PDF file opened ok with Reader.

Had a look at a Hiack this log - couldn't see anything obviously suspicious. User has AVG virus checker and that's up to date.

Booting in safe mode, and then safe mode with networking - the problem does not appear.

Machine is almost unuseable - almost anything takes 10 minutes to load. While I was examining, I could wait more than 5 minutes for a menu to pop up after right-clicking on the task bar. When things did respond, they responded to all the things that had happened since, as though the keystrokes and clicks had been queued

Edited by Ian W, 24 November 2011 - 07:50 AM.

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
try to use Malwarebyte antimalware Full scan in safe mode