Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Fan Works, but its not running?

• Please log in to reply

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi everyone,

Let me give you a little background into the problem that I am having.

I had to send my Gateway P-87 FX Gaming laptop back to Gateway for a screen repair (They had to replace the whole thing, because a month ago it died on me). Well, I just recieved my laptop back in the mail yesterday

and upon turning the computer on I noticed that my GPU fan was not running, as it should be. So, to make sure that I was not going crazy I used the program SpeedFan to monitor my temperatures, and sure enough my GPU

was running 60+ degrees celc. Which is incredibly hot for a GPU when you are not even gaming (it was running this hot when I was in sitting in Windows IDLE).

So, after I saw the temperatures I wanted to make sure that the fan itself was not completely dead. So I opened up "Windows Experience Index" and re-ran the test. Well when it came time to stress test the GPU, the fan

kicked on full blast... Which means that the fan itself is not dead. I have no idea what those dang Gateway technicians did while they had my computer at their repair center, but they did something funky.

I contacted Gateway this morning and chatted with a technician, and she told me that I would have to send my PC in again for another repair.

I am trying my hardest to avoid doing that, because I do not want to be without a laptop again for another week +.

Is there anything that I can do to customize what temperature that fan kicks on at? Or is there a way to tell if a Gateway technician changed some setting in Windows or in BIOS?

Any help or suggestions regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Additional Information:

- Windows Vista 64 Bit
- 4 Gigs Memeory
- Nvidia 9800M GTS
- Intel Core 2 Duo

Thank you in advance,

- Bas

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by Basmastersix, 24 November 2011 - 10:15 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,021 posts
Hi Basmastersix
Whilst Speedfan can be very good it is not infallible and many laptop MBs do not support it.
Try http://www.freewaref...programid=13538 as it is more specific to Nvidea products.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Phil,

Just to let you know I was using the program Speedfan just to monitor my GPU temperature. And nothing else.

I still am unsure on why my GPU fan runs only sometimes... but not all the time... It should be running all the time to help dissipate stagnant heat in the chambers.

- Bas

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,021 posts
Hi Bas
Someone at the attached link http://www.tomshardw...20-laptop-speed had better luck with Riva Tuner than they did with Speedfan.
As for changing fan speeds in the BIOS you will have to check it out but not many laptops support the facility with only the more expensive gaming models such as Alienware etc providing the option.
Here is a guide to using Speedfan http://forum-en.msi....?topic=109858.0 I know it is an MSI forum but Im sure you will get the idea.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
phillpower2,

Thank you so much for your help concerning this issue. I want to inform you that I have resolved this issue, via chatting with Gateway.

- Basmastersix

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,021 posts
Thank you for the follow up Basmastersix we are pleased to hear that the issue is now resolved.
For the benefit of others who have the same or a similar issue can you tell us what the solution was
please :thumbsup:

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
phillpower2,

When I contacted Gateway and talked with a technician, they told me that the person who was in charge of installing the new LCD screen into my laptop messed something up that affected the performance of my GPU fan.

They did not get specific with me, but they are paying for shipping to have it sent back to them. Because this was an issue caused by Gateway and not me.

Anyway, I am sorry I cannot be more specific than that. As they did not provide me with to many details. All I truly know is that they will be fixing it free of charge (Which is all I care about) lol.

- Bas

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,021 posts
Hi Basmastersix
Thank you for the update, the issue you have encountered is not unique so others in the future with the same or a similar issue may be able to look to the information that you have provided for guidance.
Anyhow glad to hear that you will soon be sorted and enjoy the forums :thumbsup: