Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz support 1 TB HDD

• Please log in to reply

GururajShetty

GururajShetty

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello All,

I want to know if Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz processor with Intel DQ35MP mother board support 1TB internal HDD?

My System goes very slow after I install this HDD. Can anybody help me to configure my system so as to perform better if the 1TB HDD can be used in my system?

I have 4 GB RAM onboard memory.

Thank you.
Regards,
Gururaj Shetty

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Nothing to do with the processor.
I've seen boards older than that that run 1Tb HDD's easily.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi GururajShetty
Is this an additional HDD as in do you now have 2 HDDs fitted?
Can you provide your PSU (power supply unit) details brand and output please.

GururajShetty

GururajShetty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello Phill,

You are right. This is an add on internal HDD (make Seagate). I have an 250GB Seagate HDD which is loaded with the WIN Vista OS. The system worked good when I initially installed the new 1TB HDD (for more than 6 months it worked). But now, when I boot the system, both the HDD's are being recognized in the BIOS but when Windows boots, I can see the 2 HDD in the explorer but when I try to open the folders in the 1TB HDD, it just vanishes.

The PSU that I am having is a local Indian brand (Zen The Master) that came with the Cabinet. Do you suspect it to be an issue with the PSU?

Zen The Master: Model# 400W-P4
AC Input Voltage: 180V - 264V
Current: 4Amps
Frequency: 47.50Hz

DC Output:
Orange | Yellow | Blue | Red | White | Purple | Black | Green | Brown
+5V | -5V | +12V | +3.3V | -12V | +5Vsb | COM | PS-ON | POK
26A | 0.5A | 17A | 20A | 0.5A | 2.0A | GND | | PG

Hope this information helps.
Thank you for your help.
Have a great day!!!

Regards,
Gururaj Shetty

Edited by GururajShetty, 28 November 2011 - 02:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello GururajShetty
Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

GururajShetty

GururajShetty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello Phill,

The problem is I cannot get to the OS so that I can run the tool. The BIOS though recognizes the HDD's, It does not boot the OS.I have the PCI POST PC System Diagnostics Test Card and it shows no error messages. The sequence of code looks fine when the system starts.

The only details I can provide you is the data available on the BIOS > "Hardware Monitoring" menu. Would that work?

Thank you very much for your support.
Regards,
Gururaj Shetty

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi GururajShetty
In your OP you said;

My System goes very slow after I install this HDD. Can anybody help me to configure my system so as to perform better if the 1TB HDD can be used in my system?

And in your last reply;

The problem is I cannot get to the OS so that I can run the tool.

Is this a new and now separate issue?
Which HDD is the OS on please and is it set in the BIOS so that it boots first?

GururajShetty

GururajShetty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oops!!! Sorry for the confusion. Let me tell the complete story here.

As and when I am trying to troubleshoot the issue, I am getting a new one.

The issue started with the 1TB HDD showing up on the explorer but not being able to access the folders and files on it. I thought it would be a SATA cable issue and hence replaced the cable. Still the same behaviour. Then one day all of a sudden the system took 30 mins to boot up. So I removed the 1TB HDD.

The system booted good but a new behaviour started happening. When I power on the Wall power socket, the system use to start for 2-5 secs and shutdown. Then I have to press the Power Button on the cabinet and switch it on again. I posted this on the Forum and Digerati responded saying...

"Note the ATX Form Factor Standard requires all PC PSUs to provide +5Vsb standby voltages to several points across the motherboard when the computer is shutdown, but still plugged in to the wall (and if equipped, the master power switch on the back of the PSU is set to on). If no master power switch, or if the master power switch is set to on, when you flip the wall switch, the PSU applies this +5Vsb voltage and that is probably what you are seeing.

To prevent this, I would recommend you leave the wall switch on at all times. If not possible then first, make sure you are properly exiting Windows and shutting down the computer when you are done using it. Then, if your PSU has a master switch, I recommend you set it to off when done. When ready to use the computer again, flip the wall switch. Then the master switch on the PSU. Then the front panel switch. If no master switch, unplug the PSU cord instead. Then plug it back in after turning on the wall switch.
"

The issue (system switching off after 2-5 secs) got resolved for that day. But then the system stopped booting the OS. So I started using the USB drive to boot the system using the Linux OS.

In the mean time, I started this thread.

Today, I got a PSU from a HP system that my friend has and tried again but in vain. Still using the USB to boot my system.

I really apologize for the confusion. I myself am now confused on what really is going on with my system.

Sorry for the trouble.
Thank you.
Regards,
Gururaj Shetty

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thank you for clearing that up :thumbsup:
What is the brand of the HDD and the output of the replacement HP PSU.

GururajShetty

GururajShetty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Phill,

Both HDD's (250GB and 1TB) are from Seagate.

For the HP PSU this is what is mentioned in the label:

AC Input: 100-240V~, 50-60Hz 5.0A Max
DC Output:
+5.08V ----- 17.0A
+3.33V ----- 15.0A
+12.0V ----- 7.5A
+12.0Vcpu ---- 11.5A
-12.0V ----- 0.15A
+5.08Vaux ---- 3.0A

Total 240W Max.

Thank you and sorry again for all the confusion.
Regards,
Gururaj Shetty

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi GururajShetty
I asked in post #7

Which HDD is the OS on please and is it set in the BIOS so that it boots first?

What is the answer please?
At this time I suggest that you only connect the HDD with the OS on it and we go step by step, one issue at a time to avoid further confusion :thumbsup:
If you are able to boot run the HDD diagnostic tool http://www.tacktech....tid=287#seagate

GururajShetty

GururajShetty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The OS is on the 250GB HDD and yes, it is set in the BIOS to boot first. Since it was not booting even without the 1TB HDD attached, I install the Ubuntu OS onto it and now its booting correctly.

Will try and install Win 7 today and see what happens.

Thank you.
Regards,
Gururaj Shetty

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The OS is on the 250GB HDD and yes, it is set in the BIOS to boot first. Since it was not booting even without the 1TB HDD attached, I install the Ubuntu OS onto it and now its booting correctly.

Will try and install Win 7 today and see what happens.

Thank you.
Regards,
Gururaj Shetty

Hi Gururaj Shetty
Yes it does sound like a problem with the OS as opposed to the HDD itself, I hope the W7 install goes ok for you but please keep us updated and let us know if we can assist you in any way, just in case you need any data off the HDD http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/