Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen

• Please log in to reply

Bri Day

Bri Day

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my laptop is an acer. I've gotten eventually to the black screen with the blinking line. what happened was I turned it on, and it automatically went to the disk check for consistency. it said the master file table was currupt, so I let it run, it restarted, got to my login screen, everytime I hit a key, the screen would go black then come back to the screen. I restarted, hit start windows normally, and then it ran another disk check and then a "dump" not exactly sure. it froze, restarted, ran start windows normally, did the disk check again, then all of a sudden my screen flooded with fast scrolling numbers and letters. I turned it off, and tried turning it bck on, and now I'm at the black screen with the blinking line. I tried getting to the bios part by hitting F8 but everytime I hit f8 it beeps and does nothing. this computer is my life, I can't lose anything on it, I just want to be able to fix it.

Advertisements

Bri Day

Bri Day

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
can someone please help? please?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Bri Day & Welcome to GtoG...

What is your op system and Acer computer model? Have you tried to boot from a Op CD? From what you have written, it could be a serious hard drive problem.. but since its trying to load your op system, should be recoverable...

Please let us know some more info..

Bri Day

Bri Day

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
its an acer aspire 4720Z. it won't read any disc I put in the drive, its not loading anything. it keeps saying a D2D32 type mismatch when I try to restore it to factory defaults from the acer recovery management. I can't even nuke the [bleep] hard drive. I'm so frustrated and I just don't know what to do anymore.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
It sounds like your going to need something else to boot from then the recovery disks, (in my experience, Acer recovery disks have worked maybe once in about 10 different cases that I've dealt with). You may need to download a vista recovery program and create a boot disk using that, ( I assume your using Vista).

Do have have data on the hard drive that you want to recover 1st? If so you may want to take the hard drive out of the notebook and mount it using an external chassis, (the Acer specs don't indicate if its an IDE or SATA drive). I have been able to run repair routines / virus scans on drives that I remove from the "sick" system and access using another.

The D2D32 error apparently pops up a lot when folks try to use the Acer recovery media. Do you have access to any Vista installation disks? (A friend's or another system's?) That is another possible avenue to try, (but you would also need to download the noteboook's drivers too).

Hope this helps...