Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Turns on But No Monitor Signal

• Please log in to reply

Dracharla

Dracharla

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok I retooled my system with my brother at christmas. Its been working like a dream since then, but when I woke up my computer was turned off ( I had left it on through the night, was trying to download something.)

When I got home from work and tried to turn it back on, my computer turned on, I heard all of the fans and drives powering on, and my power light as well as my cd drive lights came on. I heard no beeps from the motherboard. My monitor never recieved signal. I tried a different monitor using my video cards vga (i typically use its dvi) and no dice. The lights on my cd drives are behaving strangely. One will blink for a few seconds then stop, when the first one stops the second will blink, then it will stop and the first one will begin blinking again in a pattern.

my brother suspects it could be my motherboard, but I'm open for second opinions.

system specs
Pentium 4 2.6ghz
512mb ddr pc3200
40gb sata HD
80gb sata hd
128mb Radeon 9550
Audigy 2

Advertisements

Dracharla

Dracharla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
bump

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
It could be a lot of things, graphics card, memory, processor, psu.
But agreed, the MoBo is the most likely suspect.

Try resetting the bios by opening up the case (power unplugged) and removing the battery from the MoBo and replacing it after a minute or so.
(or reset using the jumper short out method if you know which jumper to use).

If this doesn't help try replacing some of the suggested components (if you have anything lying around) and see what that does.

But I fear for you're MoBo's life... :tazz:

Webslinger

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I've had this problem before, aswell as clearing the CMOS its a really good idea to go through your system and check all the connections, you have no idea how many times it will be loose connections causing your problems.
This problem pops up a lot, i suggest (if you haven't done so already) looking through the old posts on some forums to see how other people fixed the problem.

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Once, with one of mycomputers around... oh 2002 or 2001... somewhere in their, im playin one of those *remastered* games, umm... GTA 3, the original ;) , an so i pause it, get up an walk into the adjoining room to get a bathroom break, like 2 minutes later i walk back in an its either off or frozen i forget, after start up of it again, well... basicly it never started up agian with that motherboard :tazz:

The fault was likely due to a brownout our computer seller livin down the street said, we live in a windy coastal town, so taht is most likely it, a battery back up system for your comp to always be plugged into is a wise investment, part of why laptops are so wonderful to me.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
First thing is try another video card if no go then disconnect all drives and cards exept video to see if you can get a post screen. If after removing the cards and drives you cannot get a post screen then remove the video card and reboot to see if the board beeps, if no beeps remove the mobo from the case and inspect it very carefully. Look for bulged or leaking capacitors, check the underside for black or burn marks if any exist then the mobo is bad.

You could also try booting with the mobo out of the case laying on a piece of cardboard with minimal components installed to see if it works or beeps

If the board fails to beep or post after this remove the hsf and cpu, clean and inspect the cpu for damage.

But with what you described it sounds like the video card.

Rick