Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 File system icons

• Please log in to reply

lelpeezee

lelpeezee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am 82 years old and started computing with a Texas Instruments 99-4A.
I amd totally unhappy with windows 7 icon based file system; sick of all these pictures! I want a file system based on the logic tree style used since Windows was first conceived and which I last used in my XP.

Is there any file format I an install without destroying Win 7s good features?

I just want to get rid of the cute graphics cluttering up my screen

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you never migrated to Vista and went straight from XP to Windows 7 (as I did) there is a significant learning curve. But I found once I got used to Windows 7, it really is better. But still, old habits die hard. I couldn't live without the Quicklaunch toolbar, for example, so I restored it.

You really should not need any of the icons on your desktop. I like my desktop "tidy" and prefer only a few. They are just shortcuts to programs you have downloaded or installed. That said, unless they were added to your Start menu (now via the start "Orb"), then you will need to drill down into your folders (through the tree) to access them - which may not be convenient.

Do note you can change Windows 7 so it appears like XP by right-clicking on the desktop, select Personalize, then scroll down among the themes and select Windows Classic.

As far as your directories (called "folders" in Windows) being viewed in a "Tree" format, see if this helps. Also note when view the drive's contents by clicking on the drive from under Computer (formally called My Computer), you can change the view from icons to list via the View menu.

Don't hesitate to post back if this is still clear as mud.

lelpeezee

lelpeezee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Digerati for your calm words of wisdom. I have decided to live with what I have in Win 7 and forget about how nice it was in the past when I wasn't constantly being reminded that I didn't have all the latest bells and whistles that the kids love.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I have decided to live with what I have in Win 7 and forget about how nice it was in the past when I wasn't constantly being reminded that I didn't have all the latest bells and whistles that the kids love.

:lol: With 5 kids and 8 grandkids, I hear you! I consider fancy bells and whistles as more things that can go wrong!