Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to findout if I can upgrade

• Please log in to reply

mohawk11

mohawk11

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a ECS BLACK SERIES (V1.0) AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard I purchased 2-3 years ago. How could I find out if the CPU is upgradable to a 64 bit?

I can't find any specs for this, just the 8200A model

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi mohawk and :welcome:

Are you sure the board is not an 8200A? The 8200A motherboard uses the 8200 chipset so there might be some confusion there. And AMD CPUs have support 64-bit operating systems for years, so if you are looking to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit, for example, as long as the rest of your hardware has 64-bit drivers, there should be no problem.

mohawk11

mohawk11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
AH, yes it is the 8200A.

Well what I'm trying to do is basically get more memory, I was told Win7 32 bit only recognizes 3 gigs & to get more I'd have to upgrade to a 64 bit.

I only have 2 gigs, & that 1 extra gig would be all I need for what I do. I currently have the Kingston "khx8500d2k2/2gnr", I recently purchased "khx8500d2k2/2g" & installed 1 strip. Needless to say My PC did not like that memory & shuts down. Even completely swapping to the khx8500d2k2/2g it still shuts down.

any idea why? or what the "nr" difference is?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
First, 32-bit Windows recognizes up to 4Gb but due to the way hardware addressing is done, it can only use somewhere between 2.8Gb and 3.6Gb - typically around 3.2Gb.

You would have to look at the Kingston data pages for those RAM models to see the difference

If you look on the Memory tab here, you will see a list of RAM ECS has tested and verified is compatible with your board. You do not have to buy listed RAM, but you need to buy RAM with the same specs.

Also, here's my canned text on RAM wizards:

These popular RAM makers have auto-scanning and/or manual entry RAM wizards to help you determine which RAM is compatible with your motherboard. For manual entry, enter/select the PC or motherboard make and model number and the wizard will list compatible RAM.

Crucial - Memory Advisor
Corsair - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)
GeIL - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Kingston - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
Mushkin - Advisor
OCZ - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Patriot - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
PNY - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
SuperTalent - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)

The following retailers have auto-scanners and manual wizards. They sell brand name and/or "house" brand (re-branded) RAM.

Newegg - Memory Configurator System Tool
MemoryStock - Upgrade Configurator
18004Memory – Configurator
4AllMemory - Memory advisor (automatic and manual)
TigerDirect - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)

mohawk11

mohawk11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
AH very cool, very helpful tools there, thank you :thumbsup:

Well, I was trying to a penny pincher & get a little more UMPH out out of an already 2 year old system. I'm thinking I'll just go ahead & treat myself to a brand new fully upgraded system for Christmas :cool:

Thank you very much for your help, & Happy Holidays to you & your family. o/

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like a plan and Happy Holidays to you too.