Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows & BSOD BCCode124

• Please log in to reply

ski61

ski61

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello everyone, I know Im new to the site and please put this is the right forum if needed but I built my PC in the beginning of June of this year and Ive been getting a BSOD since day 5. At first it was my RAM, which is now replaced, but recently I've been getting a BSOD with BCCode 124 and Ive been reading up on it but haven't found a solution. Ive updated all my drivers for all my components but still get the same error. This happens once a day around 2am every day. The only new piece of hardware that has been put in is a 80mm fan for better ventilation.

Here is the details from the error report

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA80052B3028
BCP3: 00000000B2000040
BCP4: 0000000000000800
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Attached is a txt file of a bluescreenviewer.exe with my minidump information inside

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   15.26KB   153 downloads

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What happens around 2AM each day? Seems like what ever it is can be triggering the BSOD.

ski61

ski61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Honestly there is nothing going on. I usually watch a movie before bed through my computer and then leave my computer on until the morning where I put it into sleep mode. Ive researched it and I've done everything I could but it still happens. Also, random audio has been playing at random times throughout the night and during the day.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please zip the mini dumps (in C:\windows\Minidump) and upload here so I can look at them. The txt file you uploaded sort of indicates PSHED.dll (Platform Specific Hardware Error Driver) may have caused the fault, need the actual dump file to be sure.

Other posts I've found indicate an error here is caused by hardware, often while coming out of sleep or hibernate.

I found this, may be applicable: A microcode reliability update is available that improves the reliability of systems that use Intel processors

ski61

ski61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This is the most recent dump. I hope it helps

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

* Bugcheck Analysis *

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
Arg2: fffffa80046c6028, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
Arg3: 00000000b2000040, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Arg4: 0000000000000800, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_GenuineIntel

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: vlc.exe

Do you have VLC Media Player installed? vlc.exe is it/s main program. If so, try uninstalling it for awhile and see if the problem goes away. Download and install the latest version if you still use it.

All the info I've found says WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124) is a hardware error so if uninstalling VLC does not fix it, then I would suggest you test your ram (memory). Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

ski61

ski61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So here's what happened:

Ive tested RAM,a week ago, and I had one bad stick, tested both slots and both sticks in each slot, one bad stick so I got a new one which is not installed yet.

As for VLC I just installed it because a cracked version at Norton messed up my hard drive. Wiped it clean and reinstalled everything, I had DivX player but I tried something new and went with VLC instead. The Minidumps from the previous install were gone.

Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm out of ideas. Looks like a hardware problem but I have no idea how to go about identifying what it is.

Why would vlc.exe be running at 12:28 in the morning or did this happen while you were watching a movie?

ski61

ski61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I usually watch a movie at night before bed because I have an intense library of movies, and I was installing Visual Studio 2010 at the same time and that caused the crash which you have the minidumo for, but usually it randomly shuts down with nothing running but VLC

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are the BSODs occurring only when VLC is running now? To me that sounds like a video problem. What is the make and model number of your video card? What driver version are you running and where did you get it?

ski61

ski61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well it was DivX before I reformatted my computer, but yes it would happen after the video was watched but I could watch multiple movies during the day and not have a problem. I have updated the drivers to the most recent. So far I havent received the BSOD since I reformatted and updated all the drivers

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One of our malware guru's (Ron) asked me to send you to our malware forum as he says this kind of problem can be caused by malware, especially with the music at random times, so, go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Please put Ron in the topic title so he will spot it and pick you up.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.