Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

administrative account

• Please log in to reply

Ardent

Ardent

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I have tried for quite a while to create administrative privileges on my user account.I have tried creating a new account with them but I can't . I have tried with my existing account but can't. While doing this I ran into a problem with automatically logging on to my account when windows boots.
I am running Windows 7 home Premium. In an attempt to get administrative privileges, I created a new account thinking I could log on using it . Previously I had had an automatic log on of my user account, no pw or user name. After this change and trying for an hour to figure it out I decided to go back to my old user log in.
I followed the steps here

http://www.windowspa...n-windows-7.htm

but when I log on now I get a message telling me I have the wrong pw and then giving me a user account with the pw box . I can click though without entering a password and it will take me to my old user account. How can I fix this so I bypass this loging and incorrect pw message?

Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Open a Run box (Press Windows key next to left Ctrl key and the R key together).
Type control userpasswords2 and press Enter.
If Users must enter and name a password to use this computer it not checked, check it then click Apply.
Select the account you want to automatically login.
Uncheck Users must enter a name and password to use this computer
Click the Apply button.

You will go to the Automatically Log On window.
You can enter the appropriate password there if there is one or leave both blank.
Click OK and OK.

Next time you boot the account you selected will be automatically logged on with or without a password as you setup.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks
I have already done this and I still have the problem

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The directions in the link you posted or that I gave you will resolve the problem. The error you see is because the wrong password is being entered automatically. You need to correct that in the Automatically Log On window. Either it is not entering a password when one is needed or entering one when there is none needed.

Get the automatic logon info in sync with the actual account logon info and it should be fixed.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks that is what I was thinking but I am not sure how to correct the issue. How do I find out what pw is being used or not used?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The easiest way is to remove the password. You can enable the real Administrator account as follows:

Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista

Then logoff what ever account you are currently logged in as and login as Administrator (no password). Open Control Panel then User Accounts. Click on Manage another account then select the account or accounts you want to fix then click on Remove Password.

When done, logoff Administrator and login as the account you want to use. If you still get the login error, use userpasswords2 again to select that account as the one to automatically logon and make sure no passwords are specified.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Well it looked like it would work. I was able to get the command prompt and log in as administrator.I logged off and back on as administrator. I went to control panel found user accounts under Administrator and went to manage another account. I saw the account that I wanted to manage clicked on it but there was no way to remove a pw, no menu option with that name. I then logged back out to my regular account to disable built in administrator account but it gave me an error 5 and access denied.
Thanks for the help though, it looked promising.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If that options doesn't appear then the account has no password, so you should be able to correct the error message you get via control userpasswords2 as I described before.

Tutorial here also: Log on Automatically to Windows 7 Without Typing Your Password

If you don't have a password for the account you automatically logon then leave the password fields blank.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
well that didn't go so well, now I can't log on to my pc at all. There was no option to remove the pw on the account I normally use, so I looked at other accounts, one I didn't recognize so I thought that might have been the problem, It didn't have a pw connected with it either. I had to check the box "remove pw" to select it from the list of user accounts. When I rebooted I once again got a screen telling my my pw or user name were incorrect, then it went to the odd user account I found, which I thought I had removed the password from and I clicked on it and it gave me the pw or user name is incorrect.
How do I get back into my computer

Help

Thanks

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I was able to log back on after all just as little panic for awhile. When it doesn't let me log on in that other account I can switch users. Normally I would see my regular account icon there and I would click on it and I would log on. Instead it had a blank icon that had a space for a user name and pw. I took a chance and typed in my name( the name I use for my regular account) and I was then able to log on.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm out of ideas. I've never seen control userpasswords2 not resolve this kind of problem. I'll ask some of the other techs here if they have any suggestions.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks I appreciate it, and for all your help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Received the following suggestion:

Clear the alarms, run a disk check then run sfc /scannow and finish with Vino's Event Viewer"

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, but don't restart yet.

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then the Event Viewer. Next select Windows Logs. Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application. Reboot. The disk check will run and will probably take an hour or more to finish.

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Then type (with an Enter after each line).

sfc /scannow

(SPACE after sfc. This will check your critical system files. If it asks for a CD and you don't have one or it doesn't like your CD just tell it to SKIP.)

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Be patient, can take a few minutes.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks for all your help. I was able to resolve the problem

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you tell me what you did to resolve it?