Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

brand new pc, "Windows has stopped working" error

• Please log in to reply

Treach

Treach

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I have a problem with my Windows 7. I've been searching for a solution for this by myself but I see too many different solutions and I'd rather play safe and ask for advise specific for my situation

Situation:
brand new laptop, Asus, have it for 3 days now
hardware sufficient to handle it (i7, Nvidia GT540M, 6gig RAM ...)
software present: Windows, Office, software from Asus, software I need for work, couple of games, Firefox and Chrome as web browsers
defence: Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware free and Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security (Win Defender is turned off), Windows firewall. Scans done, came up clean

Problem:
4 times now my pc froze (hourglass that just keeps on going) and then "Windows Explorer has stopped working". This happened every time when I was either browsing through my folders, fixing my gadgets (standard from Windows) or tinkering with my theme and background picture (everything still standard from Windows, no user made theme's or such). I think 3 times was it when I just right clicked on my desktop to go to "Personalize" and then up comes the thinking icon (hourglass) and if I left click somewhere on the desktop again, the error message appears.

My first idea was that it was due to the TrustedInstaller.exe process. This mainly because one time I've noticed it taking up 2gig of memory. Checked for solutions, the suggestion was to put Win Updates to manual (done) and clear the problem reports in the ""view reliability history" (done). It didn't help, today explorer crashed again. Below you'll find the problem report from that last crash.

Thank you in advance for your help

Source
Windows Explorer

Summary
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
‎27/‎11/‎2011 15:51

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
Hang Signature: 1645
Hang Type: 769
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2067
Additional Hang Signature 1: 164533f5d622452bf2531d186c321aa6
Additional Hang Signature 2: b1a3
Additional Hang Signature 3: b1a378d4c7679568c581827731d26e00
Additional Hang Signature 4: 1645
Additional Hang Signature 5: 164533f5d622452bf2531d186c321aa6
Additional Hang Signature 6: b1a3
Additional Hang Signature 7: b1a378d4c7679568c581827731d26e00

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1910030791

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

brand new laptop, Asus, have it for 3 days now

Send/take it back! Don't try to fix it yourself. You should not be having these problem with a brand new computer.

Treach

Treach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:-) thanks, I'll try to do that. I just hoped that there was some kind of quick fix that I was missing :-)

Edited by Treach, 27 November 2011 - 11:35 AM.