Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen - "Check Signal Cable"

• Please log in to reply

houshoin

houshoin

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
When I turned on the computer this morning the monitor (20'' Samsung LCD) displayed 'Check Signal Cable'. I checked the cable to make sure nothing was loose or anything, but it was intact. I tried to changed the VGA port between my graphics card and the motherboard but nothing would display. Does this mean the motherboard is fried? Thanks.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There could be a problem with the monitor, the cable or the computer.

Did the computer do anything when you turned it on? Do you have any indication that it is working?

Can you try another monitor and/or cable on the computer?

houshoin

houshoin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I'm not sure how to determine which one's the problem, monitor or motherboard or the cable.

I googled online about the error message on monitor and Samsung said that if the monitor displays Check Signal Cable, then that means the monitor is okay.

When I turned on the computer, I heard the noise of it starting up. I looked inside of it while it was still on and saw that the fan was spinning. Looks pretty normal.

I really can't try it on another monitor or computer. But I could try with another cable. Weird thing was that it was working just fine yesterday night.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The only real way to determine which is the problem is to try swapping out the items. The cable is easy to try.

You don't have another computer, such as a laptop, that you can try the monitor with? Do you have a TV which has an input that the computer could use (newer HD sets)?

Samsung can say what they want, but that does not make it true :-). Just because the monitor works well enough to display that does not mean that the interface in the monitor is actually working. If the connector failed, it would look the same to the monitor.

houshoin

houshoin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
yea, I'm gonna try it on my bro's computer now. The problem wasn't the cable as I just tried another cable on it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi again houshoin
When you tried the MBs integrated video chip did you remove the add on video card first?

houshoin

houshoin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
oh, I did not remove the add-on card first. I should have done that.

I just tested the monitor on my bro's comp and it works fine. I hope it's the add-on card that's fried ... cuz it was a cheap card.

***EDIT: yea.. looks like the MB is done for. Oh well, thanks for the help guys. It's time for a new beginning I guess.

Edited by houshoin, 27 November 2011 - 12:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Unless you disable the feature in the BIOS your add on card will disable the MBs integrated video chip.

houshoin

houshoin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I didn't disable anything really. I used the computer yesterday night and just browsed some sites. Then turned it off. Turned it on again this morning and ... this happened.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I was actually explaining why you need to remove the add on video card to allow the integrated video chip to work and not suggesting you had disabled anything :thumbsup:

houshoin

houshoin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
oh thanks :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
No worries, have you removed the card yet?