Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build power runs 1 second and shuts off

• Please log in to reply

Tonyacv2

Tonyacv2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is a new build: (all components new)
msi P67A-C43 (B3)- mainboard
Intel Core i5 quad processor
Diablotek 550ATX power supply
GE Force GT 520 Video
8 GB DDR3 RAM

When powered up runs about 1 sec and shuts off.
Tried several suggestions... disconnected everything except CPU and memory
Took MainBoard out of the case (Same problem)
reset CMOS (same problem)

Any new suggestions HELP !!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi Tonyacv2 and :welcome:
Did you apply TIM correctly http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ and are the 8 and 24 pin power connections and CPU fan connected securely?
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate (unless the MB has a power test button) you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

Tonyacv2

Tonyacv2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Yes all of your suggestions were apllied before... Thank You
But now I am more confused because I noticed a 2 pin connector labeled J1 that shows up no where on the user manual or Specs
It is close to JCI1. I placed a Jumper on this connector and now the board powers up OK ??????????
I have looked for an explanation for this J1 pin but can not find any reference

Any Feedback ???

spaceagecow

spaceagecow

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
this would probaly be the bios configuration jumper :) it can set several modes one of these is a recovery mode different bioses have different recovery methods so its hard to elaborate basically its a mode you can put some motherboards into in the event of a power loss when flashing the bios so that you can reflash and get going again. placing the jumper on probaly set it back to operational mode.

Tonyacv2

Tonyacv2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well it looks like this is just some type of Bypass because it powers up the board but nothing else happens.
The PCI E Video board doesn't work and seems like the BIOS doesn't start up.
It even powers up without the 4/8 pin power plug

ISo I an still hanging with the problem that when I switch On it only turns on for 1 sec and shuts off

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi Tonyacv2

Well it looks like this is just some type of Bypass because it powers up the board but nothing else happens.

Some info for you, many but not all MBs have jumper pins similar to what you describe, for normal working conditions the jumper cap may be required to be on pins 1 and 2 and for restoring the MB back to the factory default settings temporarily placing the jumper cap onto pins 2 and 3 may be required, another way of clearing the CMOS to achieve the same results is to temporarily remove and then replace the CR2032 CMOS battery on the MB, also be aware that on some MBs there are additional pins (sometime 2 in number) that are used for clearing passwords.

The PCI E Video board doesn't work and seems like the BIOS doesn't start up.
It even powers up without the 4/8 pin power plug

Please clarify, the 4/8 pin connection is the +12V ATX power supply tor the CPU so you will not get a display if this is not connected!

ISo I an still hanging with the problem that when I switch On it only turns on for 1 sec and shuts off

Bad MB including a short in the system!

Tonyacv2

Tonyacv2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes the pin was the +12 ATX power supply.. I just meant that the system turned on without that plugged in if I put a jumper on J1 but you are right.. obviously no display.
But the issue is that even with the +12 ATX plugged in and the Ji jumper.. the board powers up but No Display

I am thinking of a short out MB but don't understand why does it power on smoothly with the Ji jumper

I will try to get customer support from MSI to see if they have a solution before trying to return the MB

Thanks

spaceagecow

spaceagecow

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

I have looked for an explanation for this J1 pin but can not find any reference

Any Feedback ???

If this were a cmos reset jumper it would be referenced in the manual. I believe its a bios config jumper, a corrupt bios can cause the issues you have described, the recovery mode sets the rom to access the boot block a protected part of the flashrom so therefore the system doesnt see a corrupt bios, there will be no display because of the miniscule amount of code in the boot block. I would not advise this if I did not believe it to be true.

Edited by spaceagecow, 30 November 2011 - 03:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Do you have your MB manual http://www.msi.com/s...nual-14687.html
Is your power connected as shown on page 26?
It would be helpful if you could borrow a known good PSU and Again do the barebones set-up.
Rule of thumb is always ensure that you have good clean stable power and then move on from there.

spaceagecow

spaceagecow

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
It appears this is not the case and is a chassis intrusion jumper. However this is a valid point in some cases forgive my laziness in checking :)