Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dozens of scans, disc clean up and defrag up have not improved speed

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know if i had oyu do this before and I apologize if I did.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Advertisements

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
That's what I couldn't upload, the pc pitstop test drive, I got the pop up msg to allow it or not, I clicked allow and it still wouldn't do it. I lowered my internet security level to low, disabled my Avast firewall and it still wouldn't do it. I believe I am signed on as Administrator, if that makes a difference. If not how do I do that?

Any other websites I could try to test my computer?

BTW, when I go to Manage Add Ons and disable Shockwave Flash Object everything's fine but I can't watch videos.

Edited by moe jr, 03 December 2011 - 12:21 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Interesting with the shockwave. Go HERE and see if your shockwave works and if it needs to be updated.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Deleted and installed it 3 times, same results.

There has to be others who have had this problem. Anyone else care to jump in?

Edited by moe jr, 03 December 2011 - 01:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are using IE correct and if so what version?

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'm using IE 8.

I thought about your guess that it might be an faulty OS, so I decided to do a Windows XP repair. I followed exactly the instructions that your Administrator posted a couple of years ago. It went thru all the steps and after I got the msg. it was going to reboot it stopped and this came up:

Stop: C000021a (Fatal system error)
The windows login system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080(0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has shut down.

I've tried it again 4 times and each time it recognizes that the repair was attempted before and asks if I want to try it again, which I do, but it gets stuck in the same spot and shuts down.

I've tried to start without the XP disc in and it just shuts down. I've also tried to start in safe mode and I get a msg that set up can't be attempted in safe mode.

So it seems to be stuck in set up and I have no idea on how to get out of it. Should I attempt installing a new copy instead of a repair or should I call the junk man?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets try something different and then we can fix things hopefully.

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I did it and it looks like it installed properly. But I've decided to trash this old computer and buy a new one. What I need to know is how to bring up the old version so I can copy all my files and programs and transfer to the new one. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Copying of programs is out of the question. Those will need to be reinstalled on the new system to work correctly. The data is another questions and really is not that hard to get to.
If you are tlaking office data and spreadsheets, pictures, music or videos just look for the folder they were saved in.
If not please let me know and we can try to locate them for you.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
let me ask this, is there a way to over ride the disc and complete set up on the original os?

As far as finding old data, I assume I go to start, search, then what?

Edited by moe jr, 05 December 2011 - 03:47 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What data are you trying to get and are you talking just formatting and starting over?

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I want to find some photos, articles and templates that I saved, copy them on a disc and transfer to my new computer. Some are in my documents and some in my pictures.

Also, I need to set up Avast on my new pc, do I need to uninstall it from my old cp. if so, how?

Edited by moe jr, 05 December 2011 - 04:05 PM.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
No I don't want to format and start over, I'm referring to the repair I started that stopped during set up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm confused. In post 68 you said

I did it and it looks like it installed properly. But I've decided to trash this old computer and buy a new one. What I need to know is how to bring up the old version so I can copy all my files and programs and transfer to the new one.

Now you wan to fix the old one.
If you want to move your data and settings over to the new installation the instructions are the last two lines of post 67. :thumbsup:

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Sorry about that. I do need to copy and transfer some files to my new pc but also, I was curious if there was a way to complete the 'repair' that got stuck so I could keep using my old pc once in a while. There's programs on there that I don't have a have a hard copy of and I may need to use them occaisionaly. What about Avast(paid version), do I need to uninstall it on the old pc(old OS)?