Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Perfomance Lag Issue?

• Please log in to reply

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I recently decided to reinstall Window 7 like I usually do when I feel like it needs it. So I flushed hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7, not with a problem installing. But when I finished installing all my drivers, including my Video Card Driver, installed Net Framework (DirectX11 is already installed) and Vistual C+++, and two of my favorite games. a online basketball game FreeStyle Basketballer and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.
Heres the big problem:
My computer has never had a problem before. I enjoy it alot, it played Crysis 2 and Modern Warfare 3 fine. But now this time, all games lag hard!
NEVER HAD THI PROBLEM B4? EVEN ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON 3 LAGS HARD!! By lag I mean, the screen skips frames. The more intense the motion and graphics the harder it lags..?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TONY-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Studio 1558
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz, 2266 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A08, 7/22/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.73 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.60 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.13 GB
Page File Space 3.80 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by Tony Stovall, 27 November 2011 - 08:33 PM.

Advertisements

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
mb ^.^

Edited by Tony Stovall, 28 November 2011 - 09:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

No offense, thought I could get some help here..

I'm sorry you feel like 30 minutes was a long time to wait last night for assistance but we are all volunteers and not everyone is online depending on your part of the world.
First of all please do the following and attach the requested log.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I'm sorry you feel like 30 minutes was a long time to wait last night for assistance but we are all volunteers and not everyone is online depending on your part of the world.

Not to mention it was a Sunday night on a long holiday weekend for most of us. So a little patience in getting free help for this self-induced problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and no offense.

I recently decided to reinstall Window 7 like I usually do when I feel like it needs it.

Why? What symptoms caused this decision?

Note that back in DOS days and Windows 95/98, reinstalling the operating system was often a recommended solution. But beginning with XP, reinstalling the OS is always a last ditch solution and never recommended as a matter of routine. This is because (1) XP and newer operating systems are much more robust and (2) with nearly everyone connected to the Internet, driver, OS and security updates occur frequently so updating typically sets the machine months, or even years behind in security and other updates.

Additionally, there is the risk that reinstalling the OS does not fix the problem but wipes out any evidence that may lead to the problem. And nothing is learned to help prevent recurrence. So it is never wise to reinstall the OS unless all other options to correct the problem have been exhausted.

In addition to the suggestion by rshaffer61, some more information would be good.

What is the service tag number? I ask because I can find no information for an i3 1558, only for i5. And it does not have a graphics "card" so where did you download the drivers from?

Did you actually do a reinstall or a factory restore? A factory restore would have been a better option as those drivers, while likely outdated, would have worked.

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry guys, I got impatient, but, I asked 3 times.. on other sites, even called Dell, I was making a relevant kind of.. statement. >.< Thank you!

Edited by Tony Stovall, 28 November 2011 - 09:12 PM.

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.
[/quote]

Thank you heres Autoruns.txt
Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   41.03KB   185 downloads

Edited by Tony Stovall, 28 November 2011 - 09:11 PM.

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dell Studio 1558 <Model - the Processor is I3 Intel Core
SERVICE TAG : 685XRN1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First off I see you have Utorrent installed which may be the root of your issue. These type of files are notorious for having hidden infections which can at the least cause slowness in your system. Before we advise on looking for a possible infection we will go through the tech side of the possibilities.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "DAEMON Tools Lite"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Sorry guys, I got impatient, but, I asked 3 times.. on other sites

Ah, no problem. Of course we don't know what happens at other sites. Note it is generally not good to seek advice at multiple sites either as you can get conflicting advice that can cause confusing results for you, and for those helping you.

Thanks for the service tag #. Nice how this happens less than 3 weeks after the warranty runs out. :rolleyes: And you are correct, it is an i3 and it does have integrated graphics.

Please do not make any changes to your system unless requested by rshaffer. I am only asking for informational purposes. Did you install the latest drivers from the Dell download page for your computer/service tag number?

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a drivers CD by Dell that came shipped with my computer. I use it to install drivers and somee applications. I don't know why I didn't tell this but, what was weird when I went to Dell's Drivers and Downloads, enter my model, and service tag, under display or w/e, for my service tag and my Model, there was only one display driver that was by Intel, thats not the weird part. The weird part is that I assumed that this was the right driver because it was the only driver registered by Intel and thats what I have, when I went to install it, it said my drivers are not compatible with this installation. Its up to date as far as updating driver on device manager goes.. I found it very weird that a dell driver for my service tag and my laptop model was not compatible.
?

Advertisements

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank both of you for you're help I am defragging right now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the system running better now after the defrag and other steps we did?

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Is the system running better now after the defrag and other steps we did?

w
Yes, I did this, it took around 20 seconds to defrag, I had recently did a defag with the default program on Window 7. It did improve my CPU speed!
But that isn't the problem its already really fast compared to normal. I tested our "procedures" on the games, still same problem. And I'm starting to think that its a graphics driver error.. You see, I'm not having a problem with my speed of my computer, just the lagging or frame skipping slowness of games on it. Never happened before.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
[quote name='rshaffer61' timestamp='1322620351' post='2089042']

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

http://www1.pcpitsto...?conid=24676781 <--- I think thats what you wanted. Thank you.