Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is DDR2 an excellent memory?

• Please log in to reply

amit1986

amit1986

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Guys,
I have recently joined this forum just beacuse of some issues which are colliding in my mind..
Actually I want to know that Is DDR2 an excellent memory for automotive and industrial to server, consumer, networking, and computing?

Advertisements

xtian010

xtian010

• Pip
  • 5 posts
DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 are the clock speeds. Just search it on google. By far, DDR3 is the fastest type of RAM speed. GDDR5 is the best for GFX Cards.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Actually I want to know that Is DDR2 an excellent memory for automotive and industrial to server, consumer, networking, and computing?

That is not a valid question as the type of RAM used is 100% totally dependent on the specific motherboard it will be installed on. DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 are not compatible nor are they interchangeable.

So you need to be more specific.

amit1986

amit1986

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

That is not a valid question as the type of RAM used is 100% totally dependent on the specific motherboard it will be installed on. DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 are not compatible nor are they interchangeable.

So you need to be more specific.

Actually friends I asked because my cousin wants to sell RAM and wants to deal in bulk .Recently he singed a contract as a dealer from Zipmem and he suggested me put up the question related to that on forum..That was why i did..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As Digerati stated the type of ram is dependent on the motherboard the person has. Someone who has a 5 to 10 year old motherboard may use DDR memory while something built in the last 3 to the present motherboards may use DDR2 or DDR3 memory. To be able to sell memory in bulk as you stated you would have to cover all 3 types and not limit yourself to one type.
Limiting yourself would limit your client base to either older or newer systems and people are always upgrading. So what he sells today may not be compatible with a newer motherboard upgrade in a year. Also another issue is the amount of ram he is thinking about. Everything now uses 1 gig or more memory modules so the carrying a lot of 512 and 256 meg modules will be counter productive in the end and he may find himself with a overstock of useless memory modules he can't even give away.
With the thinking your cousin is having he will doom his business before he even gets started and this type of computer business is hard enough to make any money in without limiting his client base even more.
Buy very little DDR.... Buy more DDR2 and then buy the most in DDR3 memory. He needs to watch the newer motherboards coming out because they can now do 4 gig modules per slots so that is another fact to take in consideration.

amit1986

amit1986

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

As Digerati stated the type of ram is dependent on the motherboard the person has. Someone who has a 5 to 10 year old motherboard may use DDR memory while something built in the last 3 to the present motherboards may use DDR2 or DDR3 memory. To be able to sell memory in bulk as you stated you would have to cover all 3 types and not limit yourself to one type.
Limiting yourself would limit your client base to either older or newer systems and people are always upgrading. So what he sells today may not be compatible with a newer motherboard upgrade in a year. Also another issue is the amount of ram he is thinking about. Everything now uses 1 gig or more memory modules so the carrying a lot of 512 and 256 meg modules will be counter productive in the end and he may find himself with a overstock of useless memory modules he can't even give away.
With the thinking your cousin is having he will doom his business before he even gets started and this type of computer business is hard enough to make any money in without limiting his client base even more.
Buy very little DDR.... Buy more DDR2 and then buy the most in DDR3 memory. He needs to watch the newer motherboards coming out because they can now do 4 gig modules per slots so that is another fact to take in consideration.

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply..But i would like to tell you first that my cousin was anxious from his issue..Actually his client was asking for that.The client was asking for DDR2 RAM in Market.I just put up the question because i want some recommendation from RAM Manufacturer in world..Anyways , it is pleasure for me that you replied.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would help a lot if we knew what motherboard the client has to answer completely.
If that is not known then the make and model of the system.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It seems to me, if your cousin is selling RAM, your cousin needs to learn and understand his product. We are volunteers here to help users with their computer problems. We not here to help hardware distributors sell their merchandise.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't believe IMO that this is a request to help sell anything but only asking for information on the most compatible memory available. The problem is as we have both stated is there is really no completely compatible memory. With the motherboards becoming more and more eligible for more memory and memory itself being made faster and more stable, I think putting a blanket statement out there saying that one memory is better then another based solely on it being DDR, DDR2 or DDR3 is both reckless and ridiculous for any Tech to suggest. We pride ourselves on keeping up with the latest and greatest and with that growing pains will happen.

Amit1986 it would seem that your cousin needs to understand the dynamics of what he is trying to do. Limiting his business because someone says they have a certain type of memory is fool hardy at best. This one client may have a older system and DDR2 memory may be what the system can handle. Check all the memory distributors and you can see that a variety of speeds, types and and configurations are required.

Some motherboards can only accept 1 gig in each slot, some 2 gigs and the newer ones will accept 4 gigs in each slot. The investment needed to have all types is very substantial and if your cousin is not willing to do that then his business will be doomed from the beginning.
I worked for a computer repair shop for years and saw memory orders of 10,000 dollars at times. That was a shop and not a distributor and I can guarantee you that getting a correctly balanced amount of memory modules to be able to make a successful business will mean 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars of stock. This is a very substantial investment and if your cousin does not have the clients to buy thousands on thousands of dollars worth of memory a month then he is headed for a rude awakening I assure you.