Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast "Invalid Argument" Error

• Please log in to reply

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I am a new Ubuntu user, the version is 10.04 LTS. I have just installed latest Avast! in it and updated. But now, it is showing a message: "An error occurred in avast! engine: Invalid argument". In some forums, someone told to run this command in terminal:
sudo sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=128000000
kernel.shmmax = 128000000
I ran it and it was fixed. But when I restarted the computer, the same error appeared again. I ran the command again and worked. But why will I run that command each time I start computer. I want a permanent solution, please help!!!

Advertisements

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
i can't give you a fix for this, but i can offer this

http://linuxmafia.co....php?page=virus

and there is a free linux antivirus in your repositories, if you feel you need one (and i do know that avast for linux is free as well),
its called clamav

http://www.clamav.ne...packages-linux/

in my experience, as long as you only install software through your repositories and not from the web or untrusted/unknown sources then there is little to no chance of an infection,

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I also installed ClamAV. But when I opened it, everything was ok. But in status, and in "Virus Definition" it was showing "None". There was no option on how to download or get Virus Defnition, I tried to scan files but the scan completed in less than half seconds. So I doubted and deleted it.
If you can help me, then I will install ClamAV. And I would also like to know what antivirus do you use in your Ubuntu?

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
sorry on both counts,

i don't use ubuntu, i use mandriva linux,
i also do not run an antivirus as i do not have a mail server, or forward mails,
i only install software thats tried and tested and availible in my repositories,

here is ubuntu's community documentation on clamav

https://help.ubuntu....ommunity/ClamAV

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Oh, thank you very much. The documentation you provided helped me very much and everything is solved.
I am facing another problem: Can you please tell me how to install .zip files in Ubuntu? I know that we can't install .zip files, they are compression format. But most of the softwares (especially downloaded from UptoDown) are in .zip format and inside the zip there are many .deb files.
I have just downloaded latest version of VLC (repository doesn't have the latest version) and that is a zip file and there are many .deb files inside it. I don't know how to install it, there are no readme file. Can you please help me on this. Though you use MANDRIVA, that is also LINUX and maybe you can help me, so please.

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok, as a new user then i recommend you update your packages and enable vlc through synaptic,
the main reason being that that will be the one for your version, tried, tested and working

as i have said before - don't download and install from unknown/untrusted sources, this can only cause problems for a new user

there is no need to download from the internet, all software is in your repository - malware free

unlike windows, there is no need to have the 'latest and greatest' version of software,
linux software works with the minimum fuss necessary,

if you really feel you need the latest version of vlc then may i suggest an ubuntu upgrade, this will give you a later version of vlc,
or, if you wish (and after reading this post) i will advise on how to install a .deb,

just let me know

spaceagecow

spaceagecow

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
to work with zip files,
do a sudo apt-get install zip
then a sudo apt-get install unzip

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
no need for that,

just right click and and extract

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

ok, as a new user then i recommend you update your packages and enable vlc through synaptic,
the main reason being that that will be the one for your version, tried, tested and working

as i have said before - don't download and install from unknown/untrusted sources, this can only cause problems for a new user

there is no need to download from the internet, all software is in your repository - malware free

unlike windows, there is no need to have the 'latest and greatest' version of software,
linux software works with the minimum fuss necessary,

if you really feel you need the latest version of vlc then may i suggest an ubuntu upgrade, this will give you a later version of vlc,
or, if you wish (and after reading this post) i will advise on how to install a .deb,

just let me know

Thanks for replying. I can install .deb files as it is very easy. But I wanted to install the latest versions. In the net, there are many files which are packed as tar.bz or .zip. When I open or extract, it sometimes contains many folder and files, and sometimes contain a lots of .deb files. Suppose, a few hours ago, I downloaded latest FireFox from their webisite, it was tar.bz. When I opened, I couldn't understand anything and searched the google. Then I came to know that I have to run an executable file. When I ran it, my problem wasn't solved, because the version was showing 3.6 but I downloaded 8.1 (anyway, this is solved now. I installed it using another method). A few days ago, I tried to download a game, it was also a zip file, I thought I will be not able to install it so stopped downloading. So, it's the main fact. Actually, I want to know how to use those zip files or tar.bz files for installtion? Is this complicated?

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
zip and tar.bz are compression methods, you cannot install them,

the contents need to be extracted to a directory, then look for a read me or installation instruction file,
sometimes there will be a shell script (.sh) amongst the various extracted files, you can cd (change directory) in a terminal and run the install script from a terminal,
this will install the software for you,

another way is to use your software manager to install the software for you,
usually right click and install with software manager,

nearly all installation ways will require root access,
in my distribution i use the root terminal, so it by-passes su (super user) (i do not have sudo, but do have access to full root via mcc)

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Calvert, now I can understand. Can you please tell me the command line to install the ".sh" or ".py" files?

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
not very familiar with python so i'll have to pass on that one,

but to run the sh is easy (you will need to change the example to your path)

sh /path/to/sh/file/install.sh

it may need to be executable as well

chmod +x /path/to/sh/file/install.sh

but there is no real need as all you need to do is double click the .sh and it should run,
if it doesn't then right click on it and choose file properties and change it to executable

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks for your help....

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
For sysctl permanent change, edit the file /etc/sysctl.conf.

To run a python file just "./filename.py". If it doesn't work try "python filename.py".