Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New CPU mysteriously slow

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi,

I just upgraded from an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ to a Phenom II X4 955. New CPU should be much faster, but instead it seems significantly slower.

I ran a few benchmark tests (Novabench, PCMark 7, and Vista's crappy little built-in index thingy) just before switching the CPU, then again right after. All three showed significantly lower results with the new core.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing this? I also installed a new DVD burner at the same time. It's hard to imagine how that could be responsible but I include it for the sake of completeness.

My system specs are:

Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (old CPU)
Phenom II X4 955 (new CPU)
MSI K9A2 CF-F Socket AM2+ ATX Motherboard MS-7388
Corsair TX 850 PSU
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM
Radeon HD4870 GPU
WD2500AAJS 250Gb Hard Disk
ASUS drw-24b3st DVD burner (newly installed)

I'm running 32bit Vista, but I actually have a copy of Windows 7 I was about to install for the first time.

When I booted the comp. right after the new hardware it did take a long time to start up, which I assumed was the computer processing the new hardware, and when windows was up and running there was a "new hardware" message in the system tray that ran for a bit and then said everything was ready to use.

Please help, and ask for any further information needed.

Thanks.

EDIT: I have now tried resetting the Bios, to no avail.

Edited by Junkman, 28 November 2011 - 11:44 AM.

Advertisements

spaceagecow

spaceagecow

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
What bios version are you running? What code is printed on the heat spreader of your CPU? If you remove your cpu to get this information please clean off thermal paste and reapply.