Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP Laptop Battery

• Please log in to reply

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have an HP Pavillion Laptop about 18 mos. old. Everything was fine, went to turn it on...nothing. Plugged it in and it runs, but battery does not charge. After a bit of searching I found that HP has a battery test, I tried to download it, but I got a message to use the PC Asst. loaded on my laptop. Fine, but when I open it I get a message that "an error occured". I've tried to get either to work without success. I know that I can buy a new battery, however, if the problem is external to the battery that is money down the drain. I'd be grateful for guidance. I am a geezer with limited skills, so don't assume that you are going to coach a techie-in-waiting. Thank you.
Regards
Tom

Advertisements

Golden Butterflies

Golden Butterflies

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I, too, have an HP Pavilion laptop. The original battery in mine died at around 18 months of age, as well. I've never heard of PC Assistant, but mine did come with something called HP Battery Check. I'm assuming this is the program you attempted to download, and in all honesty I don't think it's worth stressing over. I have received quite a few erroneous results - and quite often - with it, from saying a good battery is bad to saying a bad battery is good and fluctuating according to how far charged the battery is.

If your battery is still good and your system is being stubborn, this should work. So you might consider trying. It's a tip I got from a friend who works in computer repair and owns the same model Pavilion (dv7) that I have. I forgot what he said was the reason why batteries in HP Pavilions are so moody/problematic, but apparently it's very common in his experience.

In point of fact, my battery erroneously claims it's charged when it isn't at least once every two months, and I'm currently on my first replacement battery. My original battery actually proved to be dead, and when it refused to charge the battery light would blink repeatedly for the entire duration that my system was plugged in, regardless of if it was actually on. Anyway, to the attempted fix.

Turn your computer off. Disconnect the power cable from both the wall and the computer. Making sure the computer's lid is closed, turn it upside down and remove the battery. (Just to cover bases since you said your skills are limited, there's a slider near the battery. It might require a bit of force, but just push it toward the only direction it will go. Generally, there's a picture of an unlocked lock that you'll push it toward. The battery will pop up. Just grab the battery, carefully remove it, and set it aside somewhere safe.)

Now, turn the computer back over and open it. Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds then release. Nothing will happen and I forget the terms for what this does, but it's a necessary step. Close the computer and turn it back over. Place the battery back in. There's only one way it will go, and you usually have to slide it in first then press down. It will click into position.

Plug the power cable back into the computer then the wall. Ideally, the battery charging light will now appear. Turn on the system and monitor the charge. Once it's mostly charged, or if it refuses to charge beyond a certain point, try powering the system with the battery.

If the battery still doesn't work, then it's likely defective. That or our computers suffer the same further problems. However, in my experience, an alternate/new battery will eradicate a persistent problem while intermittent problems are easily solved by the unplug/remove battery/press power steps above.

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you. I followed your instructions, no joy. However, I now feel better about buying a new battery. At least I did something other than taking my credit card out, I will now move on to that all too familiar task.
Regard
Tom

Golden Butterflies

Golden Butterflies

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I'm sorry to hear the battery seems to be useless now, but I hope your replacement works well. If your experience is like mine, it should. :)

Keep a close eye on the new one, though, and if it gives you trouble that can't be fixed by the reset steps I gave, I'd advise acting on the warranty before it expires. (Typically a year after purchase.)

haikou100

haikou100

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Turn your computer off. Disconnect the power cable from both the wall and the computer. Making sure the computer's lid is closed, turn it upside down and remove the battery. (Just to cover bases since you said your skills are limited, there's a slider near the battery. It might require a bit of force, but just push it toward the only direction it will go. Generally, there's a picture of an unlocked lock that you'll push it toward. The battery will pop up. Just grab the battery, carefully remove it, and set it aside somewhere safe.)

Now, turn the computer back over and open it. Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds then release. Nothing will happen and I forget the terms for what this does, but it's a necessary step. Close the computer and turn it back over. Place the battery back in. There's only one way it will go, and you usually have to slide it in first then press down. It will click into position.
you can also buy a new one from http://www.gooarea.c...ion-dv6700.html or http://www.batteriet...vilion-dv6.html

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Haiku, thanks for the suggestion. I have already bought a new battery, but I'll implement your procedure the next time.

haikou100

haikou100

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HP pavilion dv7 Hochleistungsakku aus der neuesten Akku-Generation verfügt über deutlich mehr Leistung als der mit dem Gerät gelieferte Originalakku . Dieser HP laptops akkus kann problemlos anstelle des Originalakkus verwendet und mit dem vorhandenen Standard Netzteil geladen werden, Der pavilion dv7 akku ist gegen Überladung und Kurzschluss geschützt und gesichert.Dieser hp akkus kein Memory-Effekt - laden Sie Ihren Akku HP pavilion dv7 wann immer Sie möchten.